Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftermarket Fender flares?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Fender flares? Reply with quote

Looking for opinions on aftermarket fender flares for TJ's. I know a few of you have had bad experiences with Bushwacker. Looking for opinions.
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Xenon's on mine. They were recommended from guys I trust that I wheel with. Theirs have held up well and bounce back, and so have mine (so far).

They measure 6" from the fender to the outside. They work fine for me, and look pretty decent. I wanted something resilient enough to bounce back when I hit a tree or root ball...which these seem to do. Friend of mine runs Warns which are pretty decent, too...but seem more rigid than my Xenons.

Wink
AggieDog

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyway you could post a pic of them?
04 Rocky Mtn Edition TJ, 4.0 L 5 Speed Manual, D44 rearend,4.56 gears, Jeeperman rear bumper, swingaway, Jamboree rack, Warn front bumper, Warn steering box skid plate, Warn oilpan skidplate, Rubicon 3.5 lift, Warn CE M8000 winch.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AggieDog wrote:
anyway you could post a pic of them?

Sure...here ya' go. This is from this past Saturday wheelin'. Sloppy...slimey, wet wheelin'! Very Happy

And here's the rig cleaned up. Keep in mind though, my TJ has the 4.5" RE SF kit and no body lift. I think you are running the 3.5", right?

Hope that helps.

Wink
AggieDog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am running the 3.5, with 3/4 spacers under each coil. I like the looks of the fender flares. Great looking jeep you have! Thanks for posting the pic.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Bushwacker 4 3/4", I'm actually quite pleased with them! I didn't go the full 6" flares, my tires aren't big enough for that!

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had stock flares, bushwackers, then back to oem now. i think the bushwackers have a place....like if you go mudding and just regular offroading. but if you do lots of close tolerance stuff, rubbing rocks and trees regularly, then you may have issues with them. it was mainly that they didn't have large enough washers included with them. if i had put wider ones on from the beginning then i think i would've kept them. but the little ones pulled through eventually from grabbing rocks/trees.

i heard the warns are pretty nice - flexible and the hardware won't pull through.

here is how the bushwacker 6" cover 33x12.5 BFG's on 4" BS wheels (4" lift)

'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve run quite a few too. Stock, Warn 6", Sahara, and now the Bushwacker 6". The Warn's are a really well put together flare. Close to OEM styling and the material they're made out of is tough as hell. Not a problem rubbing against something with these. If I like those so much why did I get the Bushwackers this time 'round? I just like the looks....shoot me Mr. Green . Quadna touched on some of the concerns I have with them as well, but I'm hoping to address the mounting issues before it hits the trails again. If I were to recommend a set for someone elses Jeep, I'd say Warn, hands down. For my Jeep, I march to a different drummer.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
it was mainly that they didn't have large enough washers included with them. if i had put wider ones on from the beginning then i think i would've kept them. but the little ones pulled through eventually from grabbing rocks/trees.

X2 -I even pulled one of them off rotating the tires the other day. pull hair
AggieDog

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I elected to go with Warn 6 inch flares, I like the looks of them and stuck them on earlier today. No comment on putting them on other than sometimes you wonder what holds these newer vehicles together other than plastic! That will keep the ticket cops off me hopefully. Thanks for the input guys. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: