Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin GPS V

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject: Garmin GPS V Reply with quote

Just bought the deluxe package off eBay to replace my little eTrex. Here's the skinny on it. http://www.garmin.com/products/gps5/. I got it brandie new for just under $300 w/shipping.

I'm gonna buy an external antena and wire the whole thing up right...permanent like...with as few wires showing as possible. Once the weather breaks a little and I get it done, I'll do a little mini write up for you folks and get some pics as well.

Sorry if I'm being a goober...I'm just pretty excited about it.

Rock On!

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is sweet! Enjoy Wink
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the garmin ique 3600 for xmas with the external antenna and the car package. Love it. Directed me from nowheresville, pa to my brother's house with no problems. I plan on mapping paragon for myself this summer.
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi wrote:
I plan on mapping paragon for myself this summer.

.....BEEP "Rock on Right".......BEEP "Rock Under Transfercase Skid" Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh (sorry - couldn't resist)

anyways...
i've been looking at the etrex line now for sometime - but didn't know what one to center on. had even considered the rino - but ended up buying a set of frs radios at best buy instead. i can't wait to see your writeup - please take lots of pics. i'm a stickler for having the interior "clean" looking (read: clean = little to no wires showing)
chris
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candi wrote:
I got the garmin ique 3600 for xmas.

Shit! I wish I had a rich boy friend to buy me things. Rolling Eyes
Candi
Sick Puppy
Sick Puppy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, yeah, whatever. You don't have to live with him. Besides, I figure he can definately buy me something like that after dropping 10K into his new truck for a sound system.

BTW, I gotta post pics of the harley truck. The think is soo cool.

OK, sorry, you can have your thread back now. Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
Candi wrote:
I plan on mapping paragon for myself this summer.

.....BEEP "Rock on Right".......BEEP "Rock Under Transfercase Skid" Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh (sorry - couldn't resist)

anyways...
i've been looking at the etrex line now for sometime - but didn't know what one to center on. had even considered the rino - but ended up buying a set of frs radios at best buy instead. i can't wait to see your writeup - please take lots of pics. i'm a stickler for having the interior "clean" looking (read: clean = little to no wires showing)
chris

BEEP...That mud is too deep...you will get stuck dumbass...BEEP

The problem with the eTrex is that it needs a clear line of site for satelitte aqcuision which is not possible all the time in an XJ...unless you hold the damn thing out the window...and there's no port for an external antenna either.

The trick is going to be where to run the wires so that it's clean looking. I want it to look like it came that way from the factory. Once I get it and have it in my hands, I'll start figuring out how I'm gonna do it. Don't worry...I'll have plenty of pics!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the UPS man came today and brought me my brandie new GPS V Deluxe Package!

I still have to get the remote antenna to do the install right...but it's to cold, icy and wet out to be diggin' around in the pillars and dash anyway. Hopefully within a couple of weeks I'll get it installed (taking pictures throughout the process) and do a writeup.

Stay tuned!

Rock On!

Steve

Quote:
bill_da_cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Garmin GPS Reply with quote

I mounted a Garmin E-Trex with a modified cell phone holder in a 2004 TJ Sport. I bought an adjustable cell phone holder from P-boys, filed down the little phone grabbers, (they were blocking the screen). I then screwed this holder onto the plastic trim above the mirror. The reception is fine through the soft-top, and it is not obvious to jeep-burgurles. It might be possible to route the power cable around the windshield for a sano install. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: