Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear diff roaring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roland

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Rear diff roaring Reply with quote

This is my first posting here and I'm a newbie to working on my XJ since it's been super reliable and hardly needing anything done besides oil and oil filter changes!! I've got a '97 XJ 4.0I 5 speed manual 4x4 with 130K miles. I've had it since new. Maybe for last year or so a loud roaring noise has been coming from the rear at almost any speed. Took it to my mechanic and he says I need to replace rear differential. How can I make sure that the replacement I get is the correct one? One of the tags on the diff reads 3.07. I've been told I have to get the correct one if not when I shift to 4WD I'm going to damage the 4x4.
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"My mechanic"?...Sounds like he's his bosses mechanic. What I mean is this, your rear axle is comprised of many parts, only one or a few are causing the noise, which could be a number of different things. A "new differential" may not fix the noise. Like going to a doctor...you need a second opinion, preferably from an axle shop. Look for an outfit that knows more about rear ends. 130,000 is low miles for axle problems, I doubt you need a new differential.

Your ring and pinion being a 3.07 is whats in front also, so thats what you have and need in the rear.
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this mechanic take the cover off of the differential and see what was going on in there, because you can't see much through the fill hole? You might try this and inspect the gears. If you see allot of scoring and or chips they may be right, a rebuild is in order. Maybe you just need to change the diff fluid?

Look through this list and see if anything sounds familiar: Axle Troubleshooting Guide

and this one how to change your diff fluid: Changing Diff Fluid

Good Luck
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it roaring, it sounds like a bearing someplace so I doubt the entire axle needs to be replaced. Check the troubleshooting guide that majikxms posted. What's really important is if the noise changes (volume and/or pitch) on acceleration, deceleration, turns, etc. That will help narrow down where the problem is.

Also, if you change the fluid as a first step and you have a LSD make sure to add friction modifier to the fluid when you fill it.

Good Luck.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Roland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the mechanic took off the cover and checked in there. He said maybe it could be the bearings and they could be replaced but after he checked he said it was way gone. I guess you could say he can be trusted. The roaring got louder lately and then recently I started hearing a loud clunk when I turned while accelerating; say, while coming out of a stop sign and turning a corner. That's when I decided to take it to the shop. The problem now is that it seems that since my XJ is 4.0L manual tranny 4x4, it's been very difficult for me to get a replacement at a salvage yard. Checked e-bay and no luck...
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you find one in a bone yard, you might go through the work of getting it in there to find out down the road that it's got problems as well. So unless a tube (or tubes) is bent or the housing is no longer intact...I would rebuild it (or have it rebuilt).

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: