Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What CJ to get?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giseppy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: What CJ to get? Reply with quote

Hi all. New here. I have been looking at new and used Wranglers. They seem nice enough but this is going to be a second "fun" mobile. I don't need to drive it all the time and I don't need AT or AC or coil springs or radio even. Just a nice short wheelbase a top that goes down/comes off, and 4 wheel drive. My last fun 4x4 was a 1955 Unimog 404.111. It was REALLY fun but slow and a little grouchy.
ANyway, I want to get a CJ. I think a CJ5 although I don't know the real dif between 5 and 7. When I see a CJ I like it is usually a 5. They seem more plain. I think I would like a 6cyl. Maybe to get better mileage?
I am looking for advice. What are good years?
What are the good engines? Transmissions? Tranfer cases?
Where should I look to answer these and other questions?
thanks
george
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a little help identifying them. http://californiajeeper.com/identify.htm
http://www.jjournal.net/jeep/jeep/cj/

The CJ7's are probably a little (well a lot) more common. The 5's will likely have either an f-head 4-cyl or the Dauntless V-6. Not sure what sort of mileage you'll get out of them. The 7's had a 4-cyl, two 6-cyl and the 8 cylinder. Actually, here's some more info to search.
http://www.links4jeeps.com/search.php?whichtype=all&filled=1&search=cj
77 CJ 5er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giseppy,
I just recently joined the Jeep world. I did a bunch of research on this. I found and purchased a 1977 CJ5. It has a 304 V8, factory disc brakes. Most came with the T-150 3 speed manual, M20 rear and M30 front. Both are strong from what I have gathered. To me the beauty is all the drive train components are cast iron and stout. I would recommend a CJ5/7 from 76 -80. Lots of parts available, simple to work on and very primitive. When looking check for rust around windshield and the rear tub area. I was amazed at what I saw when I was looking. The Jeeps were used hard and most do not maintain them well....
I have found a whole bunch of things that were never even looked at.

Hope this helps
32" donuts
Superior rear axles
chappy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 74 CJ5 and an 86 CJ7.

I would recomend a 76 and up CJ 5. The reason for it is the aftermarket is much larger for this frame and suspension. The 70-75 models are very nice and I love mine. The lift kits available are a little more limited and the Dana 20 transfer case is strong but in my opinion the Dana 300 in the later jeeps is better.

If you get one of the Kaiser jeeps the steering systems are not as good as the later jeeps.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: