Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garvin Wilderness Tire Carrier for the TJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Garvin Wilderness Tire Carrier for the TJ? Reply with quote

I’m trying to decide on a rear bumper tire carrier for my TJ, I need to get my tire off my tailgate. One of them I’m looking at is the Garvin Wilderness swing away bumper tire carrier.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp?part=GAV-34900

Does anyone have one, and what are your thoughts on it? Do you like it?

Also I was wandering about the locking mechanism? How does it latch and unlatch and is it easy to latch and unlatch?

thanks, Jen

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how that one works. My friend just bought the Warn rear bumper and tire carrier. I like it but I'm still going with the LoD one. The warn was very hard to unlatch.

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Garvin uses a screw-type latch...requiring you to unscrew it every time you want to open the carrier, and then screw it in when you close it. Strong and reliable for the most part...but a PITA if you're in and out of the back of your Wrangler frequently. I don't like how the spare is retained either using the bolt-in handle thingy (yeah...technical terms)

You'll be challenged to find the quality and features in a tire carrier as you will in a Jeeperman unit. It has a latch like your Jeeps doors with a door pin and a latch. Mine has been extremely reliable with my only problem due to me not greasing the hinge properly when I installed it. Add in the frame reinforcements and call it a day.
IBTJn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, screw latch on the Garvin. Not too user friendly IMO. I've seen guys with them who like them alot. I actually like the overall Garvin set up...with the exception of the locking mechanism, and almost bought one. I'm glad I didn't though.

Jeeperman was my first choice, but I just couldn't swallow the price tag for it. So I ordered Steve's Jeep Fab rear swing away. Less expensive than the Garvin unit, and IMO better. Steve will build it as you ask. The latch is just like Bulletproofs, which is on a cam latch. Locks tight, and is a piece of cake to open. No rattle on mine. BTW, I compared mine side to side (in person) with the Garvin unit. That's why I'm glad I went with Steve's.

I like the Jeeperman bumpers alot though, and if you can swing the coin are a very good unit to go with.

Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBTJn wrote:
Jeeperman was my first choice, but I just couldn't swallow the price tag for it.....I like the Jeeperman bumpers alot though, and if you can swing the coin are a very good unit to go with.

I was going to post a reply about how the Jeeperman is no more expensive than the Garvin....then checked prices. Wow. The Jeeperman really shot up since I got mine. It's listed at $819.96 with free shipping. I've had mine for 2-3 years and I remember paying around $650-ish. The Garvin was listed at $709.95 with free ground shipping but an $8.95 handling fee and a $10 special fee (probably due to its weight) for a total of $728.90.
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I had a feeling the Garvin has a screw latch, and well screw that!

I like the Jeeperman, but I'm having a hard time dealing with that price. Also what I want to get is that basket that attaches to the bumper with is like another $400 Shocked

I'm going to send Steve's Jeep fab an e-mail and see what he can do for me.

Also the other option I'm looking at is an LOD rear bumper: ($428 w/shipping)
http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_tire_carrier.htm

a member of our club (SteetDoc) has one and I like how that one works, David hasn't had any problems with it and he really likes it.

The only thing is that it doesn’t have any "accessories" for it; however, I’m looking into if the “Sierra Rack for CJ YF TJ XJ 904-142” from quadratec will fit with the LOD tire carrier. (Part number 12036 800 07 on Quadratec I would post a link but Quadratec is retarded and will just go to the home page not to the product you want)

Thanks for your inputs guys.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
IBTJn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jen2Goofy wrote:
I'm going to send Steve's Jeep fab an e-mail and see what he can do for me.

Jen, give them a couple days to respond. They were in the process of moving their shop about 50 miles North of where they were when I bought mine. Just tell them your plans of what your long term wants are. Hold nothing back, and you'll probably be surprised...or so was the case with me. I bought an extra wheel holder (for lack of better words) that will allow me to run dual gerry can if I want, or not. That was something I was looking at on both the Garvin and Jeeperman...which shot the pricing of those units right on up there.

Jen2Goofy wrote:
Also the other option I'm looking at is an LOD rear bumper: ($428 w/shipping)
http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_tire_carrier.htm

a member of our club (SteetDoc) has one and I like how that one works, David hasn't had any problems with it and he really likes it.

Kizer and a few others I know like theirs, too. However, side by side comparison (to me) it is indeed lacking in a couple areas. But for the price, you'd at least have something to start with. Add a couple of Jeeperman frame tie ins and you'd probably be okay.

Good luck.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: