Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oil pressure problem??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1stJeep

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Oil pressure problem?? Reply with quote

Hi all. My Jeeps been real good to me. (2003, 4.7 GC, just turned over 100k)
Except this morning it gave me a pretty good scare. I'd pulled into a quick shop this morning, parked at about a twenty degree incline. Came back out, started it up, started to back out then "check gauges" light comes on. Oil pressure gauge reads ZERO. Turned off Jeep, checked oil. Dipstick says almost one quart low. Bought a qt of oil, poured it in. Full on dipstick.
Started it up, pressure builds up as normal to about 40 psi. No problems after that.
My question is, is parking at a twenty degree incline with just one quart of oil down, enough to uncover the oil pickup?
Or am I about to have some major problems (knock on wood)?
Where is the pump located on the 4.7 engine anyway? Can it be changed without dropping the pan by any chance? Mr. Green
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like that happend to me last week, although I wasnt on an incline I started it, than it beeped and said check guages and a second later the oil pressure went to normal. also this happend right after I checked my oil and it said I am in the normal range
1stJeep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't figure this out. Sometimes when I stop at a stoplight, the oil pressure will drop down to about 3 or 4 psi (incline or not), and the warning light will come on. I have to throw it in neutral and juice it a little to get the pressure back up. But then the very next stop light, it'll stay at 40 psi. Kind of an intermitant thing. It wants to idle at about 500-600 rpm. Is that right?
Does yours do that newzj?
Could it possibly be a bad sending unit? Or maybe there's some kind of pressure regulator in the oil system that's going bad?
I can find no useable info on this engine on the net.
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my jeep does some crazy oil things too, but at the other end of the scale. I know that after I get up to operating temp., the oil pressure gauge will bounce back and forth from normal pressure and 80psi. Everything sounds ok, and runs ok but it just freaks me out to see it jumping like that. I guess I could be using the wrong weight oil. What do you guys use?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine does that after she warms up...at idle it drops to around 20 under normal accel it jumps back between 40 and 60 im not sure why but everything runs ok and i heard it was a normal jeep thing from a few mechanics
1stJeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it out!
It's a conspiracy! I realized that the oil pressure gauge is electronic instead of mechanical. Then I realized maybe it's tied into the control module like everything else is. Then I also realized that I continually have to disconnect my battery to fix my frickin cd player. AHA! Maybe if I disconnect my battery, it'll reset the control module and fix my oil pressure problem.
It actually worked. Driving home yesterday I was getting low readings and warning lights every time I stopped at a light. I stopped at a bar, disconnected my battery, went in and drank a beer. Came back out, connected the battery, fired it up and VOILA! 40 psi at idle, and 60 psi cruising.
I wish I could fix everything by drinking a beer.
I think they actually programmed the low readings into the computer at a predetermined mileage point, so when it occurs, you take it into a dealer so they can "install a new oil pump" and charge you an arm and a leg, when actually all they really do is disconnect your battery for a few minutes and take your money.
Ya know, with all these electronics in today's cars, you'd think they'd be more dependable. But when it gets down to it, I trust my old '54 F100 with the Camaro suspension, small block Chevy 400, points and condenser ignition, and mechanical gauges a whole lot more than I do this electronic wonder Jeep. At least I know if I drive out into the woods with my truck, I know I can fix it and drive back out. Not so sure with this Jeep.
That and why on earth do they give a supposedly "off road" capable vehicle only a fifteen gallon gas tank? That's just bizarre.
I'm gonna trade this sucker off.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow....you only have 15 gallon tank?

i got 23 Mr. Green
1stJeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? 23 gallons? Yeah, no matter how empty I run it down, I can never get more than about 14-15 gallons into it. Funny thing is, my Yamaha Waverunner holds 18 gallons.
23 gallons would be acceptable. I bought mine used, and didn't even consider how big the tank was. My previous daily driver was a Chevy half ton with a thirty gallon tank. After I bought my Jeep, it took me a while to get used to stopping for gas once a week as compared to once every two weeks with the truck.
I'm wondering now if I can retrofit a larger tank into my Jeep.
Nah, I'm thinking about trading in anyway. If I buy another Jeep, I think I'd like to have one of them 5.7 Hemi Jeeps. But then that would really have me stopping for gas all the time.
Anyway, if your jeep starts giving you oil pressure fits, remember to first try disconnecting your battery, before you take it into the dealer. Might save yourself some serious bucks (and hair too).
1stJeep

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THIS would be awesome:
http://www.jeep.com/autoshow/news/hurricane.html
Not one, but TWO 5.7 Hemi's in it! Twisted Evil
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a zj man they are everywhere and the I6 motor is very good....just a thought if you wanna still have a jeep...im lifted and mud tires with the I6 and im getting about 15-17 miles a gallon...i have exhaust and intake upgrades however

zj is the jeep grand cherokees years 93-98 and they come with the 5.2 litre v8 also...or you can get the 5.9 litre that comes in the 98 years
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: