Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starter Trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Starter Trouble Reply with quote

On my '97 cherokee when the engine's cold it starts just fine. but a mile down the road (running an erand) when i try to start it up again it won't work. give it a minute it'll start again. then when the engine's warm it starts just fine every time. i think possibly solenoid trouble. what do y'all think.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "it won't work" mean? Do you get dash lights? Does it crank and not start or not crank at all? If not at all does the solenoid click or is it completly dead?

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
monkeyman3875

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, when "it doesn't work", i have all electrical working just fine (lights, radio, etc.) but the car won't crank, no clicking from the starter, nothing. it's just dead in the water.
seajay

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Starter / starting problems Reply with quote

I may not shine on Jeep techs but I do know some things from working with marine engines.(seajay) If the problem is only when the engine is warm there are several things you might want to check out. Simple things first. Are all your ground connections good? That would be the engine ground to the body, frame. Make sure the battery terms are clean, this is basic stuff. I always found it a good practice to put a star washer on all the lugs in the electrical system, that way even if you’re running the water/mud trails there is always a good conduit. If you have an automatic transmission does the starter “connect” in park and neutral? Could be the NSS (boy that thing comes back to haunt me) that would give you that dead in the water lack of sound. If you turn the key and you hear the solenoid click then the problem is either the battery, the relay, or bad contacts on the solenoid. If you can’t hear the solenoid, check the fusible link. probably not that though cuz it wouldn't start at all. I suspect this is getting closer to your situation. To check your solenoid put a jump wire from the hot side of your battery and the small terminal on the solenoid. If the starter turns your solenoid is good and the problem is in the key switch, NSS, or some loose, broken wires between them. Hope this gives you a start. Again my first inclination is some dirty connections in the circuit. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: