Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New '05 Wrangler owner with questions - noise in drivetrain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: New '05 Wrangler owner with questions - noise in drivetrain Reply with quote

My new Wrangler makes a somewhat loud whirring sound when running, in or out of gear, and seems related to RPM. When I barely touch the clutch pedal, the whirring stops. The dealer says it is the torque shaft bearings and that this is normal and that there is no damage being done. I was told this is just a noise the Wranglers make and most people do complain about it. Just wondering from more experienced owners if that sounds accurate and if there are any ways to remedy the sound if the info given to me is truly accurate.
THanks in advance for the advice. Short of this small issue the Jeep is great and I am already looking for ways to add/upgrade - any advice for a newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
-Marcel
95sahara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to the board. I just wanted to let you know that my new 05 Wrangler makes the same noise and I also wanted to let you know that vitrually every vehicle I have owned (6 in all, that were manuals anyway) have all made that noise, and, being certified in transmissions from WyoTech and the automatic transmission rebuilders association (ATRA), the certification carries over to manuals also, the information that you have been given is correct. It is simply the bearings on the input and counter shafts.
PICS
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Jeep Thing....that you'lle eventually understand!

Jeeps are noisey and drivetrain whine is normal. I found that by switching to 100% synthetics after @1500 mile break-in, that this almost compleatly did away with the whine.

This was true for both my TJ's. My 02 X had a compleatly different drivetrain from my 03 Rube but they both made the same noise.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Marcel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks to both for the input.

WhatwasIThinkin suggested synthetics to help resolve this noise.
If I do use 100% synthetics after a break-in, which fluids need to be changed to try to minimize this noise. I'm unclear on how engine oil tanny fluid will affect it.
95sahara

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to change the fluid in the transmission. Not anything else. Just drain the transmission and refill it with the synthetic fluid.
PICS
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run synth in everything...except atm the tranny...its still whatever DC puts in at the factory. The only reason I havent changed that on out, is in the owner manual it states very clearly to use a specific Mopar oil. I have also been given some very different ideas of what to run instead of the Mopar stuff. Amsoils, says one thing. Redline says something different. This goes on and on with others also. I havent gone to the dealer with a copy of the Magnuson-Moss act to see if they are gonna supply me with the tranny oil for free yet...lol rofl

I do however run 100% synth in everything else. Just one of the many positives of synth oil is quieter running gear. The synth oil molecues are in clumps just like regular dino oil. Only with the synth oil those molecues are almost perfect clusters and stay that way for thier life. Mineral oil molecular clusters are completly imperfect and random. They are constantly changing size and braking down. So I guess an easy analogy would be: think of Synth oil clusters as ball bearings that are all the same size as each other. Then think of Mineral oils as clusters made of sand granules. Roll each accross a smooth floor. The ballbearing will win the speed and distance race everytime.

So now that the synth oil works better to keep a more consistant layer between the metal on metal parts then mineral oil does, this is whats causing better wear and less noise from those parts.

And since Im on the subject rofl Marcel I see your from Milton Vt. Well I lived north of you at one time in Sheldon Junction and also east of you over in Elmore. So I know well just how cold it gets up that way on the winter.

Have you ever seen gear oil at -25f ? It almost wont pour at that point. At -40f it will turn into a solid almost basically like wax. Synths will stay viscuous even down to -45f. Again this is a huge protection advantage over mineral gear oil.

Okay Ill leave it there...so I wont expell you the advantages of Synths on the other end of the spectrum...Heat!
Wink

Marcel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Which SYnthetic Reply with quote

Just wondering what specific recommendations you have for which synthetic oils to use in tranny fluid swap out. I am almost at 1000 miles and am itching to change the tranny fluid to try to minimize the whining noise. also any specific recs for synth engine and gear oil?

any recommendations for summer winterizing, ?undercoating body or parts? any particularly good experiences with certain lift set-ups?
How about tuffy rear storage set-ups?
Thanks for the info.

Ride On.
-Marcel
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preferences are:

Engine: Mobil1 10w30 100% synth and a Mobil1 M1-204 filter

Tcase: Amsoil 100% Synth ATF

Front and rear diffs: Amsoil 100% Synth 75w-140 gear lube

Tranny: still stock whatever came in it....Ive been told that this is a synth oil straight from the factory. Again I havent changed this out due to conflicting substitutes from any of the brands that I would use. Im not worried about it anyway...I only put @7k a year on my TJ...and dont want to pay $40 a quart for the Mopar stuff from the stealership.

Does your Unlimited have the selectable front and rear lockers? If so then DC still recomends the 75w or 80w -140 lube. If not then I beleive they recomend the 75w-90 gear lube. And possible an slip additive...someone correct me if Im off on that one. If its 75w-90 then I would personally use Mobil 100% synth there as well. With synth lube, ussually theres no need to run a slip additive. I would run the Mobil 75w140 synth if I could find it but its not available locally. If more readily available I would run Redline oil and lubes also, but still hard to find here in NH.

As far as additives, I dont beleive in them. Brands like Lucas are a farce. All they do is create tons of foam in the oil and foam dosent lubricate. The best way to ruin perfectly good synth or mineral oil is by adding additives to it. Yes many Nascar, NHRA, and IHRA teams use additives. Most of the additives do help enough to get a little extra HP that its worth it to them. But Nascar engines only go 500 miles, and the drag engines only go 1/4 mile, then get compleatly torn down and rebuilt. Yesterdays oils are compleatly different from todays. What used to work fine then just isnt needed anymore.

As far as other tech items you may want to read up on, go up to the top and click on the Tech button. Lots of info in there.

KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I run:

Motor: Amsoil 0W30 S2000
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/tso.aspx

Trannie: Mopar Fluid in it now, but will be using the new Amsoil Synchromesh Formula this fall.
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

Gears: Amsoil 75W140
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svo.aspx

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
03TJX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running all AMSOIL in the Jeep right now except for the diffs as I have just regeared about 400 miles ago and am getting ready to change that oil too. I am running the new AMSOIL 5W30 synchromesh oil in the transmission as well and have noticed that drivetrain noise has been quieted. This new oil meets the DaimleyChrysler requirements so I don't worry about it anymore. That's just my 2cents on the subject.
Tom Woods Drive Shaft, Advance Adapters SYE, 33x12.50x15 Interco TrXus MT on 15x10 Aluminum Wheels, Jeeperman Rear Bumper&Tire Carrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: