Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Napster???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Napster??? Reply with quote

Okay, I've had it. I really, really loathe work. That's normal though, otherwise it wouldn't be called 'work'. It'd be like 'Superfantabulous giddy time' or some shit like that. I'm already getting off the point here, alright, the only thing I hate more than work is country music. I'd rather listen to the sounds of my screams as I strike my hand with a hammer for 10 hours straight. Seriously, I hate this stuff....and polka, thanks dad. Anyways, it's late and I'm still digressing, but I'm creating a bit of a backstory here. Ya know, make it more fun to read...sell them the sizzle and all that jazz. Anyway, lets combine my two least favorite things in the world...work and country music. Ya know what happens then? Options start going thru my head. Should I buy an assualt rifle and try and make it on CNN? Should I park the TJ on railroad tracks on the way home? Should I buy an MP3 player so I can just sit back and be in my own little world for 8 hours? Well my 5 minutes of fame on CNN would be nice, but no. Railroad tracks, nah. MP3 player seems the only sane route here....sanity is fleeting though. I swear I'm going somewhere with this folks, I swear. Again, it's late. What the hell am I doing oh yah, I had a question. I'll start a new paragraph so ya's can skip this mindless babble portion of the show.

Napster? I used to use WinMX, but the security forces of the RIAA have forced them into hiding....dammit I hate when multi-trillion dollar artists run the risk of going hungry because I've downloaded a song, not really. So (being desperate..again, castration with a smooth rock seems more appealing to me than country and/or western) I've looked at Napster. Guy at work uses it, but he's kinda....well I'm looking for a coherent opinion I reckon (why didn't I stay in school..). My only question (after all this typing) is can I download songs and put them into a MP3 player, burn to disc, whatever using Napster. I know 'I can', but then there's this little disclaimer they put in saying something along the lines of In order to continue to access downloads you need to maintain a Napster subscription or some shit like that. Are the songs in MP3 format when I download 'em? What's up with that? I mean I don't mind paying the monthly fee to dl some stuff, but I don't wanna be a member forever since I really don't listen to a lot of new releases. I don't really see myself getting on the new Backstreet Boy bandwagon any time soon, so I'd be cool just downloading my old music of the ultraviolence and moving on with life. Any input (if ya can make sense of this) would be greatly appreciated.

*cues the Blues Brothers*
What kind of music do you have here?

Well we got both kinds....country and western.

*goes back to listening to ChroniX on Winamp while browsing assault rifles...*
03TJX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Different subscriptions and prices for what you want to do Reply with quote

Napster has atleast 2 different services you can sign up for. One allows you to download music to your computer only, atleast that is my understanding of it. That is the cheaper service and it runs $9.95 a month. From my understanding you should be able to burn this to CD easily in WAV format which is the standard format for most download music sites. Then they have Napster TO GO, which is the service you must buy if you want to download the music to and MP3 player. It runs $14.95 a month for this service. Either way you can download a bunch of songs for what it would cost you to purchase one CD. And of course you have the option of purchasing only single tracks that you want for $0.99 each or albums from $6.95. Hope this helps answer some of your questions. I have been using iTUNES, only because Mt. Dew had there promotion going where you could pop the top off your 20oz and win free songs. I have just never taken the time to download napster and buy a subscription. They usually run a special where you can download napster and use it for a week to see if you like it, for free. During that week you can download as much music as you want. I am going to upgrade to DSL in the next couple days so I can download music much faster.

The biggest advantage of Napster over iTunes is with Napster there are a number of MP3 players that are compatible with there software, as with iTunes you have to use an iPod, and you have to purchase each song separately or purchase an entire album for $9 or so. Hope all this helps.
Tom Woods Drive Shaft, Advance Adapters SYE, 33x12.50x15 Interco TrXus MT on 15x10 Aluminum Wheels, Jeeperman Rear Bumper&Tire Carrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.limewire.com

its free....
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too funny too funny too funny
What was the question again?
too funny too funny too funny

Took some searching, but I found what you need. Mr. Green

kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limewire or use a bit torrent client and well get some weird crap.

hey how about the Bee Gees?

Staying aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeee.

Damn brings back the Disco days. Well I was to young for them, but Im sure some of you old dogs know who they are.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read some I didn't like in an article about Yahoo doubling their subscription rated. With iTunes, once you pay for the song, you own it. With the monthly services, like Napster and Yahoo, you need to continue paying the memberbership fee other the music you downloaded is no longer accessable. That's BS. I'll stick with Limewire and continue downloading illegally.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dl'd the free Napster trial. Fast downloads, kinda limited in what they have available, and a buck a song to burn it to disc...bah. Downloading Limewire now....
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another option is to use archive.org for live shows of various bands. I use it for Robert Randolph and the family band, Howie Day, My moring jacket etc. All these bands allow tapers at their shows and allow the dl of these shows. Also there are many bit torrent sites that allow you to share music. I use dreamingtree.org to download DMB shows.

As far as wav files go you can use the MKW audio compression tool to turn shn into wav's and wav's into mp3 files.

go here to download the mkw tool, it will work with any wav or shn or mp3 file.

Choose the 2nd version

http://www.etree.org/mkw.html

"mkwACT097b1.exe "

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: