Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Increasing Mileage/HP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowKnight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Increasing Mileage/HP Reply with quote

I have a 1994 Grand Cherokee Laredo.

I have a couple of extreme newb questions...sorry. Embarassed Ill ask a couple first until I start to understand things more.

- (You might laugh at this one) If I increase my horsepower, does that increase or decrease my mileage?

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/
- Ive read this, and in it is says that cold air intakes do not increase performance, is that true?
Hognuts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered about that too. I always believed that cold air intakes would improve both, at least that is what k&n, air raid, and others profess. Heck they even have dyno charts to back their claim.

However the article did not say

Quote:
that cold air intakes do not increase performance

what it did say was

Quote:
There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.

I consider performance and mileage to be different. I believe that article was only addressing mileage.
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hognuts wrote:
I have always wondered about that too. I always believed that cold air intakes would improve both, at least that is what k&n, air raid, and others profess. Heck they even have dyno charts to back their claim.

However the article did not say

Quote:
that cold air intakes do not increase performance

what it did say was

Quote:
There are many silly myths floating around the car industry to fool the average person. Another is that cold intake air improves mileage. NO. Warm air improves mileage.

I consider performance and mileage to be different. I believe that article was only addressing mileage.

Your dead on with that Hog in the winter when its cold milage drops and back up again in the summer.But cold air is definetly a performance plus.
1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, it has nothing to do with the ambient temperatures, it has to do with the fact that in the Northern States, the fuel is oxygenated. Fuel stations switch over to "winter gas" in the 01 Oct - 01 Nov time frame. Thank the EPA for this one...

BTW, who ever said warm air gives more HP and better MPG was an idiot. Cold air is more dense, therefore, packs more of a punch when combined in the combustion chamber with the fuel. There's a reason why it seems you car has more power when it's cold out...because IT DOES.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Cold air is better. And contrary to popular disbelief, cold air kits do help performance and gas mileage to a small degree. It’s up to you weather the cost is justifiable or not.
On my TJ, I baught a K~N cone filter and just put it on the end of the stock plastic tube going to the throttle body.
I only paid $60.00 for the filter, instead of paying $250.00 for basically the same thing that’s already on the Jeep. And it looks better than the stupid box with the funky Ant Eater snorkel thing hanging out the front of it too.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
el_dubya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KnightFire wrote:
LOL, it has nothing to do with the ambient temperatures, it has to do with the fact that in the Northern States, the fuel is oxygenated. Fuel stations switch over to "winter gas" in the 01 Oct - 01 Nov time frame. Thank the EPA for this one...
KnightFire

Define "Northern States." My mileage hasnt changed any more than normal lately, and its almost December, past the time when you say they switch gas. Oh, I live in central Illinois. However, when it gets cold, then it suffers.

Also, I always thought more power would result in better MPG. My thinking is you get more power out of the same amount of gas, therefore requiring less gas to do the same thing. Am I way out of wack here?

'98 TJ SE
15x7 ProComp Series 51 Rock Crawler Wheels
31x10.50 General Grabber AT2's
Taurus Fan
Uniden PC68 Elite CB
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No your not wacked, the more efficient you make a motor the better the mileage, but you may have a tendency to use all the extra power gained and the mileage suffers greatly.

Top Fuel Dragsters have 6000+ HP, and yet they use about 19 gallons of fuel per ¼ mile

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ShadowKnight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. (sorry I havent checked back in so long...college Evil or Very Mad )

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0L V6

I would like you opinions on this (as its a lot of money), IS IT WORTH IT?
- K&N Jeep Grand Cherokee Cold Air Intake - 7.72 HP at 4684 RPM's - $238.86
Would I feel the difference? And if so, how much of a difference? Also, would adding this make my Jeep louder?
- Flowmaster Mufflers
Which one would be the best choice? Are mufflers easy to install? Again is there any noticable difference in performance? How loud is it inside the Jeep?

Thanks in advance.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air filter isn't worth it. Look at the hp increase at that hp, I'm not sure I've ever ran my jeep in that high of rpm's. Headers and exhaust that allows more exhaust to pass through the jeep faster will give you an added bonus, but I'm not sure how much

My Morning Jacket
Lowrider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you need it to flow free in AND out, don't you? What value is an unrestricted exhaust system if you have a restricted intake?

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An engine is nothing more than a large air pump, the more air you put in, the more power.
But this power generally comes at a higher RPM's (4000 and higher). If you buy a K~N filter, yes you are getting more air, but you are not going to see the big hp gains that a 500 hp SB Chevy would see (around 10 to 15 HP). Simply because the Chevy is turning 6000 + RPM’s and is inhaling a much larger volume of air than the I6.
By comparison, the I6 turns and a much lower RPM and will only see a minimal gain, maybe 6 or 7 HP.
Your right, what goes in must come out. If you buy just a replacement filter, you don’t need a high flowing exhaust, But it doesn’t hurt and it would help more for gas mileage that HP. Most people add a high flow exhaust just to make there vehicle sound better.

Personally, I like K~N Filters, I have one in every vehicle I own. I justify the cost by not having to replace the filter every 3-5000 miles. I also know that when I baught the one for my Jeep that it wouldn’t make that big a difference, the one I have in my Nova, yes, I could feel the gain, I even had to fatten’ up the carb a couple numbers.
Another thing, I have owned my Nova for 19 years, 15 years with the same filter.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowKnight wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. (sorry I havent checked back in so long...college Evil or Very Mad )

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4.0L V6

I would like you opinions on this (as its a lot of money), IS IT WORTH IT?
- K&N Jeep Grand Cherokee Cold Air Intake - 7.72 HP at 4684 RPM's - $238.86
Would I feel the difference? And if so, how much of a difference? Also, would adding this make my Jeep louder?
- Flowmaster Mufflers
Which one would be the best choice? Are mufflers easy to install? Again is there any noticable difference in performance? How loud is it inside the Jeep?

Thanks in advance.

How loud...depends on what you buy. Flowmaster makes a 1 chamber race only muffler that is really loud. If you don’t like “Johnny Law” I wouldn’t buy this one. They also make a 3 chamber muffler that’s quite but has a noticeable sound difference.
Length also makes a difference when comes to sound level, the longer they are, the quieter.

You might notice some HP gain with a muffler, maybe 5-10 HP

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
ShadowKnight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! lol Im starting to understand this stuff. Cool
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the dynomax super turbo muffler and i noticed a small increase in accel and maybe a mile per gallon or 2 nothing major

i also have the k and n drop in filter for the box and i got maybe 1 mpg

mines a 94 grand too so if your considering mufflers and such thats what i have on mine
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: