Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How reliable is a 1996 Cherokee Sport (2wd, auto, 96k miles)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeighty3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: How reliable is a 1996 Cherokee Sport (2wd, auto, 96k miles) Reply with quote

Thinking of picking one up for a daily driver. This car wont see any offroading or anything of the sort. Just a nice sized truck/wagon for the winter and daily use. The car is very clean and looks great. I am really considering buying it, but everyone I talk to says they are junk and that the car will spend more time in the shop then on the road? Is there any truth in this? Are the auto transmissions fragile? I want a vehicle that I can just put gas in and do regular maintenance, will this be that vehicle? Any feedback is appreciated. Also how much do 1996 cherokee sports usually go for? Thanks
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the 4.0L (I6) as well as AW4 tranny...they are both rocks. If you maintain the engine (oil, tuneups, etc) it will easily clear 300K miles. Install a tranny cooler and change the fluid regularly and the tranny will go just as far.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. the 4.0 is a damn good engine, my dads is runnin about 250k with original motor. same tranny to. you got your self a dang fine car.
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: 4.0 rules Reply with quote

Who ever told you it will spend more time in the shop then on the road is a fool. The 4.0 is one of the most reliable motor's built, better then any v6 and are easy to work on and at 96k miles it's not even broken in yet . Buy with confidence said my father. We have had three cherokee's strait sixes 4.0's and love them with 300k each no problems. They really are tough vehicals.
Hognuts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an 98 Cherokee limited. Best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4.0 is an amazing power plant, the hp and torque to weight ratio makes it one fun vehicle to drive. I always bought new cars. This is the first used vehicle I ever bought. It had 81,000 when I bought it and 125,000 now. No problems. Wife liked it so well she bought a 2000 Cherokee limited. We were BIG Ford bigots. Total Jeep family now and never going back. Only drawback, they are thirsty, they like lots of fuel for their size. But you are talking 2WD so your mileage should be much better. Good luck, you'll love it.

hognuts
90XJ4X4

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cherokee is dependable and long-lasting. Engine and tranny are solid...moreso than anything but a Cummins/4500.

I get 18mpg with my 4WD, probably could get 20 if I was highway only.
Vinnie4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: most reliable Reply with quote

I must admit before I became a cherokee owner I heard the same thing but as the others are saying as long as you get the 4.0 the vehicle wont let you down. I used to be a GM person but about 10 years ago I picked up a 1988 cherokee at an ODOT auction no one was bidding on it so I got it for $400 it had at the time 178,000 miles I still have that cherokee pushing ovewr 300,000 miles on it. in the time I've owned it I have put tires, plugs, wires, filter, rotor,thermostat, and brake pads/shoes on it and thats about it. Two years ago I picked up a 1993 cherokee sport 4 door this 193,000 that the owner was going to "Scrap" I have put a valve cover gasket on this one and a sterring column when it was stolen and recovered. Currently the sport has about 215,000 miles on it. I just picked up a non-beater cherokee last month a 1997 cherokee country loaded looks brand new and it has 117,000 miles on it I did a tune up and thats it. So for ten years I have lerned that my cherokees cost little to own and haven't let me down.
luvthatsound40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recent;y had an emissions test done on mine for MA inspection and with 167,000 miles on it, the mechnic told me that this thing runs like it's brand new. He had also told me that the week before another XJ came in for an inspection and it had 286,000 and it too had passed. 4.0 motors just last a long time if you change the oil in them regulary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: