Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 44 Swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Dana 44 Swap Reply with quote

I am lookn to swap a Dana 44 in for my Dana 35. I need to know if a 87 Stock 44 would hold up and how much these axles cost. Also some places were i could buy a Dana 44 for cheap. Im in nor cal by the way if its a place.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it'll hold up. They tend to run about $300. I've seen them priced higher and they don't seem to sell. $300 is about the maximum unless it's already build with a locker, more desirable gears, and other upgrades.
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: thanks some more Reply with quote

I have a 93 cherokee and I think it has the 3.07s gears but im not for sure. it is a manuel and i read hear the automatics run a 3.54 ratio. is this all true and can i have say 3.54s in rear and 3.07s up front and still run 4 wheel drive or is that not even possible.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they came with a couple different gears.
my automatic has 3.55's, and i do believe there were 1 or 2 other gears available.

NO, don't ever run different gears. it'll causer very very serious damage, and then you'll realize it would have been much cheaper to just buy the correct gears.
________
Ipad Accessories

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, autos came with 3.54's and manuals came with 3.07's (some 80's XJ's with the towing package came with 3.73's, but they are rare). As stated above do not run 4wd with different gears ratios at the front and rear axles...you will tear up the gears, transfer case and possibly the tranny as well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ZONA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: 9" in place of D44 Reply with quote

I've been going over this same thing for two weeks now. Only today did I have a break though on what I think is the best axle vs cost vs availability.

First off, good luck finding the 87-89 Cherokee Dana 44. I live in Phoenix (5 largest city in US) and there was not a single yard that had one. I then called a national chain and there are only 4 available currently in US (according to them). I think they are telling the truth because some of the smaller yards looked up availability and they said the same thing. The closest one to me is in NM. Cost was $780.00 after freight and tax.

Then I called my shop guy who is building my XJ and he told me I could get the Ford 9" installed for just a few bills more. But's it's a much stronger application. Here's what I'm doing.

Since the 9" doesn't bold right in to the Cherokee, I am ordering this from Currie.

CE-2002 EXTRA H.D. 9" HOUSING W/ CE-0012 PERFORMANCE AXLE PACKAGE $779
Description: The Currie CE-2002 extra heavy duty housing with 3 1/4" x .250" wall tubes, and small, early large, or late style large bearing housing ends, and the CE-0012 Performance axle package with the 2 forged alloy axle shafts, new axle bearings & seals, 1/4" thick heavy duty retainer plates, wheel bolt pattern of your choice, and wheel studs of your choice. Custom built and mig welded to customer width and pinion offset specs., and comes with 3rd. member studs installed, and the 3rd. member gasket, nut, and washer kit.

I found a local yard that had a complete 9" from 70's Bronco for $300. Going to use the custom Currie housing, tubes, Cro-moly axles and all that stuff. Will use the 3rd member from yard axle. My guy doesn't have many alterations to do now so the cost to install (remove spring perches and such) is only $200.00. The Ring & Pinion didn't matter to me because installing 4.56 gears with ARB.

Total out the door for my Ford 9" axle job is $1300.00 and that's with beefed up housing from Currie and beefed up axles too.

You can go cheaper buy using existing axles from a 9" at yard and just order the housing and stuff from Currie for $339. It's alot less expensive but you will have to cut your shafts.

EXTRA HEAVY DUTY 9" HOUSING
Description: The Currie Extra heavy duty housing features a 26" wide center stamping that is V cut on both sides front and back where the tubes fit into it for increased weld area, 3 1/4" x .250" wall tubes, and large bearing housing ends in your choice of early style or late style large bearing. Custom built to customer width and pinion offset specs., and comes with 3rd. member studs installed, and the 3rd. member gasket, nut, and washer kit.
CherosR4Us

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hecka questions about axles. I was reading the 8.25 bolts right in but it never came with ABS. If i have ABS can I still use the 8.25 axle and still use ABS or will that not work and still bolt in.
ZONA

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CherosR4Us wrote:
I have hecka questions about axles. I was reading the 8.25 bolts right in but it never came with ABS. If i have ABS can I still use the 8.25 axle and still use ABS or will that not work and still bolt in.

Why would you want to change to the 8.25 dude? IMHO - it's not worth changing out the D35 unless you are going with minimum a D44.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: