Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Body "Popping" sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dforeid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Body "Popping" sound Reply with quote

Hi all.... 1st post. I have a '95 Cherokee Sport - owned it for the last 7 years. From the time I brought it home, it's made what I describe as a popping sound when going over uneven roads, seems like anytime the body/frame twists a bit it pops. Very annoying to say the least. I've replaced all four shocks and that wasn't the cause. Hard to tell if it's suspension or body from the sound. Anyone else experience this? Any help would be appreciated.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check lower control arms and make sure your shocks are tight under the hood....check track bar if you have any kind of lift
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: noises Reply with quote

I've noticed my 99 Cherokee makes a noise in the front when hitting certain bumps. I think it is the front sway bar sliding over and tapping on the frame. Looks like it's time for new rubber bushings on mine. Just something to look at, try prying it over with a screwdriver. If it slides over to the frame on the opposite side rather easily it may be your problem. I think my 86 used to make noise on the rubber mounts for the tranfer case.
dforeid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input... done all that - no help. Problem happend before new shocks as well as after. If this isn't a chronic this that others run into, I may just dissasemble and rebush everything, but wanted to check with you folks before I wasted any more time.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new here. I just joined the site to specificlly reply to you. My 18,000 mile prestine, new off road, garage queen 2001 XJ Limited 4X4 began doing this, 2 weeks ago when the weather turned cold. Your description was very good! It sounds like from under the mid section of the Jeep and it sounds like a balloon that is only blowen up a little, like to maybe the size of a soft-ball, and it then stuck with a pin, right? It does this every time you begin to move forward, and over even the slightest imperfection in the road. Pop Pop Pop Pop.
I headed straight to my selling dealer (Jeep/Dodge) No Chrylser, how'ya like THAT combo? Well, they checked it out and said it was caused by ICE coating the springs, and it will go away when things heat up under there. (I had only gone 3 miles when I headed off to my dealer). Well, they were correct ! 2 more miles, and the sound went away. It has not returned. We had alot of rain, and I was out in it, and upon coming home, I did not garage it. The temps fell down into the twenties that night.

How is yours doing? Has it stopped ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: