Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

newbie biting off more than he can chew...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d.foo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: newbie biting off more than he can chew... Reply with quote

tried to install a 97 42re in a 94 grand cherokee.

first prob was the flexplates were different. solved this by getting the right flexplate.

second prob is the tcase (np 249 from the '94) won't go back on the transmission.

how do i fix this?

I wanted to do this myself to save some $ so I bought a used tranny. Now I am learning that I should have done a little more research in the beginning.
Shocked Crying or Very sad
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a 231 tcase or find an adapter so the will mate up 249 sucks anyway
d.foo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for my ignorance, but an adaptor for what?
Confused
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that the input shafts are different.. What you are going to have to do is find a case that will fit that tranny.. What came off of it...

YOu can either put the input from the stock case into yours or use the stock case...

Without knowing what it had its hard to know what to tell you to do...

Sorry...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the 42 re tranny and i have the 231 tcase so i would try that first so is your jeep the 94 or the 97?
d.foo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tcase that was installed on the donor tranny (97) was a selec-trac type 242. My vehicle, the 94 has the 249.

I am attempting to install a 97 tranny into the 94 and am running into issues with the existing components on the 94 matching up.

How much would an input shaft (used) typically cost me and where could I get something like that?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why didnt you get the 242 with the tranny???

I dont know what and Input would cost.. Probobly more cost effective to just get the whole case.. Besides the 249 is full time.. Wouldnt you like the 2WD option ????

Just saying... If you want to keep the 249 you are going to have to open it up and swap the input with one that fits.. (Out of a similar 242.) See my writeup about transfer case swaps... Its what you need to do,,

Second problem will be that there was a gear pitch change mid 96 so the 97 input most likely wont work in the 94 case.. You will have to find a 95 or older input ... ( Or use the whole 97 case....)

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
d.foo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap, crap and double crap...

can I change the output shaft on the tranny to match?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a 232 or 242 tcase they should work witht that tranny
d.foo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Thanks for all the info.

I think that I wanna find a compatible 249, because I wanna try and keep it stock as much as possible. So if I find a '97 249 tcase, then I was wondering if I will have any probs with the current driveshafts matching up.

Did chrys change the output shaft on the 42re between 94 and 97, or is it that the output shaft is matched to the tcase (242 or a 249) that is installed at the factory?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shafts should be the same..

What size engine do you have??? (Being as its 249 I would guess VCool

You might have gotten a tranny from an I6 ...If you have the 4.0 and the tranny came out of a 4.0 I dont know why the output shaft would be different but apparently it is.. Its probobly only the length of the shaft and you may be able to find a t case with the same size input as yours...

1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think his biggest problem is the years...alot of crap changed between 94 and 97 lots of crap
d.foo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
i think his biggest problem is the years...alot of crap changed between 94 and 97 lots of crap

Yeah....i'm slowly finding that out. Bought an input shaft from a 97 and the teeth are cut different (same number though). Also, the collar on the shaft that seats up against the front bearing is larger. I am looking at getting a bearing for a 97 and the anulus gear out of a 97.

The other option is just getting a 97 altogether. Does anyone see a prob with putting a 97 249 on my 94?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOpe.. It should work...

d.foo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...I got it all back together. Yet after starting her up, the vehicle shudders while in park and tranny fluid is coming out from the front of the bell housing whenever I put in gear. I thought it was because the tc was not seated all the way, but I bought some spacers and longer bolts and pushed the tc back as far as it would go. This did not fix it, so I really don't know what the prob is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: