Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going Bigger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Going Bigger Reply with quote

Currently I run OME suspension which says 2.5" but is really 3" I also have a 1" bL and MML. I'm getting ready to buy the OME LT shocks, then some RE 3.5" springs. What else am I going to need, that will be a must have to ride right? Also will I need a SYE with the RE 3.5" Black Keith, I'm looking at you for some answers Very Happy

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rear trackbar relocation bracket, front adjustable trackbar, new extended front and rear sway bar links. Tcase drop combined with your MML might solve the vibes, but I'll let Keith field that one. Things that aren't necessary, but I'd look into eventually are adjustable control arms and a stronger steering setup (tie rod/draglink).
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a little more then I thought I had to get.

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try to reuse the bracket from the OME kit, but the axle's still gonna pull to the side since it wasn't designed for the 4~4.5" of lift you'll get outta the RE coils. You don't have to replace the front either, but again, the axle's gonna shift. When I ran my stock bar and 3" tera coils, the steering was pretty sloppy. Simply recentering the axle with the adjustable made a world of difference. I'd definately relpace the rear links, factory ones are just plastic dude, take a look at them Shocked . No way to get out of having to deal with the vibes, you're gonna have them and will need the drop kit as the bare minimum to do it (SYE preferrable since the stock driveshaft is gonna be hanging on the slip yoke by a hair...I couldn't believe how little contact mine had with the 3" coils). Big difference between slapping in taller coils and lifting it right Wink eyebrows .
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the SYE/CV, vibes are pretty bad and have caused my output on my tcase to go bad.. With that big of a lift and meats, you may want the lower control arms at least, so throw that in the mix.. It will be expensive.. Why do you want to go that big? Are you on a budget? What size meats you trying to clear?? Maybe 3" springs would be a better option, I definitely still have 4+" on these coils after close to 30K.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option to consider is start upgrading the current setup with the plans of bigger coils in the future. That's pretty much what I did. Trackbar, control arms, SYE, and what not. Then when it came time to put in the 4" coils, I just hadda fine tune all my existing stuff, but didn't need to purchase anything new Smile . Are your current shocks bad that you wanna replace them?
brandy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your TJ ha the NV3550 (6 cyl Manual trans) you can save alot on an sye by getting an np208. the shit llever is clocked the wrong way, so you gotta make a new one, but 75-100 bucks for a heavier t-case with a fixed yoke output is better then the going price of the kits. it has a 23 spilne input and the input is longer so it wont work with any of the other transmitions.

Brandy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want a little more height. I don't think that I'll run anything larger than 33's atleast not until I get a v8 in there. I like how mine is set up right now, but a little mpre height is what I wanted. So let's change direction then. Let's say 3" tera coils. Now what? Drack you had this before, what would the difference be?

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My used Tera 3", gave me about 3.5" of lift. This is on a 6cyl though, so you might expect a little more up front. The OME LT shocks are too long for that application btw, I only ran them because I planned on going taller in the not so distant future. When disco'd, I'd constantly unseat my driverside front coil by flexing too much. I'd stick with the shocks you have now if that's the route you're going Smile .
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shocks are fine, I just figured that I would need to go a longer if I lift it more. I do have the spring retainer clip on mine so I'm not to worried about popping a spring. So what about the rear trackbar, will my OME trackbar be sufficiant or need a new one? Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, I just want to know everything ahaead of time.

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the backspacing on your wheels, it really shouldn't be that critical. When I pieced my lift together, I think the Tera relocation bracket only cost me like $30 or something like that. Yeah, spring retainer solved my problem too, just watch your brakelines if you don't extend them with the longer ones Wink .
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally surpised in how much lift I got throwing on my teraflex 3-inch. Now that I have my 1-inch body lift and motor mount lift to kill the transfercase drop my Jeep looks outrages sitting next to a stocker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: