Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Training Nov 6 - Recovery/Safety

Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Training Nov 6 - Recovery/Safety Reply with quote

What time are we going to start the training session on Sunday? And, are we going to do something as a group for lunch/dinner?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve was talking about starting it around 12/1.

I would say ya, we could do something for lunch/dinner. Do a pot luck. The question is do we after or before. I would say after maybe.

Thoughts?

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
jppilot61

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for FOOD!

I say we eat afterwards tho. Then after I get too full I don't have to move until I get in car to go home and sleep it off!
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

works for me, just need to think about what I want to cook.

MJ are you making Mac-n-Cheese????? PLEASE!! Mr. Green

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we have any idea who and how many are comeing to the training? And, what are the ideas for food after the training? BBQ, hamburgers/hot dogs or grilled yard bird. Donna got some apples to make apple crips for dessert, what else is needed?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ and I are planning on being there.

MJ is making Mac and Cheese.

What else do we need?
rovertmutt

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there as well. Yank is still grounded, so he'll be not present.

-Trevor
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, we are looking at 12-15 people right now. Jen is talking about a pot luck...so far all know is that MJ is bringing Mac & Cheese and Allen is brining fried chicken.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StreetDoc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think we will need more; ice cream and cool whip to go with the apple crisp or a salad to go with dinner?
jppilot61

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting at 12 or at 1pm?
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Training Secession Reply with quote

Curious how the Recovery training secession went. Sounds like a trip we need to do here in the Low Country Jeep Club too, if ya'll don't mind me stealing the idea.

What items did you cover and how was it preformed ? Was it actually done on the trail or at a predetermined gathering?
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did it at our house, which has a nice size backyard and thus plenty of room. We choose the location based on the fact that we wanted to be able to have a few hours and be uninterrupted...difficult to do on a trail (unless you find a nice big clearing someplace).

We went over the following:
    Rules for spotting and spotters
    Recovery points (hooks, d-rings, etc.) and why they are important
    General recovery saftey
    Proper use of chains
    Types of recovery straps
    Strap recovery & saftey, including: towing, tugging, snatching
    Description of Hi-Lift jacks and related equipment
    Hi-Lift recovery & saftey
    Description of winches and related equipment
    Winch recovery techniques & saftey: including single, compound and change of direction line pulls

All of the above included demonstrations of different rigging as well as explanations of what the inhereint advantages, disadvantages and dangers are to each example. Throughout the entire presentation, the main emphasis was on safetey. Most of the folks there had some level of exprience wheeling, so we choose not to go into the real basics of safetey (like how to climb an incline properly, etc,).

We also did some hands on stuff...for example:
    "Jeep A is stuck and Jeep B is going to winch Jeep A out using a change of direction pull. Who wants to rig it?"

After it was rigged, we'd then have the rest of the group critique it by explaining what was right and/or wrong with the rigging and why...or have them describe where folks (both operatirs and spectators) should be standing duiring the operation and why...stuff like that.

All in all it went well..especially considering that David and I "shot from the hip". While we had a bunch of reference material (which we passed out copies of on CD afterwards), we didn't have any kind of script that we worked from. That was one of the (many) purposes of having the class...to help us perfect how to teach the techniques and start developing a script to do so from. Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that idea got a very warm reception! Thanks again Steve and FM2CD Club.

I have listed some of your topics as well as other basic trail readiness items for beginners and the idea sold effortlessly. Now got to get it put together.

Having just completed my back surgery, I have plenty of time to put this together. BTW I'm OK and should heal up fine. Maybe ready for a trail ride next spring if I follow the doctors orders.

Especially like the idea of angle pulls, don't see much of that. I have used it myself though. Will have to study the straps too. I admit I'm not well versed in that field. Is there a real need for snatching? I have only seen this attempted once, with horrible results!
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. That's good news! Smile

Snatching can work well if done correctly....and can be a lot quicker than rigging a winch pull. The key is to increment up to it: i.e. - start with a straight pull/tow. Then, if that doesn't work, try a gentle tug, then a slightly harder tug and so on.

Here's an example of just how effective snatching can be...on the way to Big Levels last spring we came across a tree that had fallen across the road the night before. I had already tried to just pull/tow it and then a series of tugs incrementing up in power until we got to this point. Clicky

Quote:
Jen2Goofy
Trail Goddess
Trail Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been snatched out three times, two times I was stuck in the mudd and once I was high centered. The high centered was at the Poker Run back in September.

www.vajeepgirls.com

www.fm2cd.com

(O||||||O)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: