Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting a lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: getting a lift Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm getting a 2" spacer lift on my jeep. Should I get the steering aligned after I am done or would I be ok without it. If I do need to get it done what are the names of the things they need to check? I know castor and toe in/out I think, I don't know for sure. On the off chances that I need to have stuff done in a shop I like to go in there with the knowledge of what they are going to do. That way I can make it clear to them that I know what they are supposed to do so they are less likely to cut corners.

Also, any tips since this will be the first lift I am going to install?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
cajzmere

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't HAVE to change anything. 2 inch isn't all that much. Watch for pulling on your brake lines, u may have to change where they're attached. After putting in the lift blocks, drive it and see if it pulls, it shouldn't if it was good before. It's not really all that hard to do. Make sure you got it on 4 jackstands up real high so you can drop your suspension ALL the way down, and drop it(axles) down slow with your floor jack. Have Fun!!
viper24242

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. We'll just have to wait and see if this becomes another one of my misguided adventures. Cool
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give you is that if you take the lower control arms off ...you dont have to use spring compressors...That cuts down on the danger factor about 1000% ....

The shocks will be OK.. BUt when you can afford some buy a set for the 2-4" lift...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so far as I can tell I sould remove the tracbar at the axel, remove the lower control arms from the axels, and I assume the swaybars too. Also lossen where the brake lines are so I can droop the axels (slowly) without tearing them off. I think I can do that. I think the hardest part of the whole thing will be getting the beast into the air. Any ideas where I should put the jack stands on the frame once I get it in the air?
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the tallest Jack stands you can get at Harbor Freight or something.. (6 tons work for me...

Jack it up as high as you can from the axle... Then put the jack stands on the Lower control arms at the frame side..and lower the axle..

Take off the shocks and the tires so that it will droop more...And with the tires off you can get away with less jacking...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting to wheels off is going to be interesting. A month or 2 ago I tried to get the front tires off so I could inspect my brakes, each tire had a lug nut that was seized on or something. Being a man of few specialty tools, (although I am the proud owner of a torque wrench at 22) I don't have anything strong enough to get them off. I the case that I can't get the tires off and can't get the jeep up high enough, are spring compressors going to make my life a little easier, besides having a spring get loose and smack me in the face? But hey, I live for danger, just most of the stuff I do would kill me rather than ruin my already shaky relationship with the ladies. Also thanks for the help guys!! I'll try and take some pics when I get it installed within the next couple weeks.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to be doing the same thing after xmas since I am getting a RE BB Cool . This doesnt sound like the hardest thing in the world to do but I might be wrong. and for those who have done it before about how long did it take? and how much actual lift will I be getting, without new tires because those will come later. and Could I just compress the springs and drop the pucks in, I know this sounds like the lazy way out(but it is) or should I drop the LC and take the spring all the way out. thanks for the help
viper24242

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey sometimes the laziest and easiest way is the best. I'm not to proud to do it the easy way.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
grocery getter 318

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the budget boost from tera and i did one corner at a time because i only had two spring compressors. I put the compressors on the springs just snug at ride height then jacked the rig up and the springs came right out. then throw the spacers in and let it back down. You might neeed to detach your sway bar links if they are the stock ones to get good axle droop.
viper24242

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, where did you put the jack when you lifted the jeep up. I only ask because I always jack it up by placing the jack on the axle. To me that would just compress the springs more so they won't pop out. After reading and asking around your way sounds like the best.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
grocery getter 318

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jack it up from the frame right behind the lower control arm mount. I was able to put in my Rock Krawler 4 inch springs with the BB this way too just had to unhook swaybar.
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, thanks for the tips everybody.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: