Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YJ lift on low budget

View previous topic :: View next topic  
YJgurl182

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: YJ lift on low budget Reply with quote

Okay. I have a few questions: First, I was just wondering what my options are as far as lifting my 1995 YJ (I4) on a minimal budget (college student Rolling Eyes )... I just bought it a few months ago, I do a good amount of four-wheeling (every weekend), and at this point it's almost completely stock, other than slightly bigger tires (A/T's, I'm pretty sure they're 30's, bought by previous owner). I was told that replacing the shackles would be a cost-effective way to gain a couple inches, and have been researching that, and I was also wondering about SOA lifts and the upsides/downsides to them. I would love to have more articulation as well, and once I have the money will most likely buy 31's (I would love bigger, but I don't want to lose my good gas mileage or put extra pressure on the engine.) I have been kind of wary about lifting this Jeep, seeing as how it's my only transportation and I need it to commute various places, etc., but I really want to do it, so I'm hoping I can get some good advice! Thanks!
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is hard to say.

Personally I steer clear of rubicon express. I like BDS lifts, they are all around the most bang for the buck.

Do you plan on doing the install yourself? If not you will need to almost double the cost of the lift, to allow for installation.

I would stick with the 2.5- 3.5" area if you go with a suspension lift.

If you want super cheap you can put a body lift of on it. Again I would stay with 1-1.5" on that.

A body lift will give you enough clearance for some 31's and then can be used in conjunction with a suspsension lift at a later date to clear big tires.

Sounds like you have the right idea with just sticking with 31's for now.

What kinda budget are you working with, I can give you a better idea of what to look for

Dan
TexAgs08

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to have a 90 YJ with a 2.5L and i had a 2" shackle lift in front and 1.5" in back from 4 wheel parts total cost $80 for me to install myself. The front springs on 92 and previous YJs sucked balls, so the longer shakles in front helped to even the ride, but since yours is newer i would stick with 1.5" at the most. With this lift combo i was able to fit 32s with almost no rubbing. The only rub came from turning the wheel to full lock, the tires rubbed on the leaf springs. These were stock wheels 15x6.5!!i later upgraded my tire and wheel package to 33s with 15x8 wheels and they fit ok while on road but when wheelin i had major rubbing all over the place, so i eventually bought a 2" body lift. As for the milage with both of these combos, i would get roughly 250 miles on a 14 gallon tank, which is about 17 mpg. with the 33s and body lift i would get about 200 miles on the 14 gallon tank, which is a little more than 14 mpg. I didnt do very much highway driving so i wasnt bothered by the top speed of only 75 mph!! This was all done with 4.10 gears that came stock. In my opinion the jeep had preatty good pickup of the line and through 3rd gear, but after that there was no power, by the way it was a standard.

So after my long rant, I would say go with the shackles and 32s, they are only like $10-20 more than 31s and look much better. i regret getting bigger tires and the body lift, the looks didnot outweigh the functionality. I had a much easier time wheeling with the 32s.
Brandon3454

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 94 Jeep Cherokee and I just bought the Skyjacker shackle and spacer kit, it gives it about 2.5 inch lift. Looks really good. I also bought the Trxus M/Ts 31x10.50, with the American Racing Wagon wheels that are black. It looks really good once finished, and the lift is cheap.
themajor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I did
http://www.4x4xplor.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=638&highlight=
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: