Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is an automatic to AX-15 5spd swap hard in a V8 ZJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill 705

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Is an automatic to AX-15 5spd swap hard in a V8 ZJ? Reply with quote

Ive always wondered this. I know that the early GC Larado's once in a blue moon came with the AX-15 5 spd (found in most YJ's from 88 on).

Would it be hard to swap the tranny and transfer case out of a YJ into a V8 Cherokee?Anyone tried this or heard of it done before?

Wouldn't that be sweet.......!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think that tranny would be strong enough to put behind a V8..

However you could do it with a NV4500 (Dodge truck 5 speed..) or a 4 speed out of an old dodge power wagon.. (435) I have seen a TJ with a grand V8 and a 435 behind it.. And I have been doing alot of research on the manual swap myself.. (Mostly on Dodge truck sites..) as far as I know noone has put a manual tranny behind a V8 in a grand... Several guys have done it with the I6...(It was a factory option in 93)

Oh and another thing ...The AX will not bolt up to the v8.. I just remembered that..
You will need to find a dodge truck tranny that you like and work around that....THe 5.2 V8 that is in a grand is the Dodge 318.. Its been around since the 60's so plenty of tranny choices.. Just start looking...

And yes.. It would be cool... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bill 705

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...thats some info!

Never thought of the AX-15 not standing up to the V8, thats an excellent point.

I always loved them in my YJ's, which is why they came to mind first.

Time to start digging, maybe some of those gawd awful looking Ram's from the 80's would make a good donor vehicle.

Cool
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know of any new info you find on this in your digging
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, when the AX-15 came in the ZJ's, it was only the '93 model with the 4.0L.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that I have found that lots of guys have put the 4500 in the Dodge truck (to convert from auto to manual.) Check Pirate there are a few good writeups there..

And a few have even used the Dodge 435 ...(Its an awesome tranny with a super low granny gear..)

Like I said ..I know a guy with a TJ that has the grand V8 and the 435 it is incredibly fun to drive... Mr. Green

But the Dodge 435 is hard to find and the fact that grands are unit body makes it a big pain in the ass to fabricate the cross member that you will need to support the new tranny. And you will need to find a master cylinder and a pedal assembly ( I think XJ pedal will work..) and you will need new drive shafts front and rear when you are done...

This all being said.. I am working on getting all the stuff to do the conversion but its a slow process.. And I am not even going to start til I have every thing.. When I do get it all I will let you all know and of course do one of my world famous writeups... rofl

If someone does it before me I will find their writeup and link it to this forum... I search about once a week for new info ..In case there is any...

If you have any specific questions just ask I probobly already know the answers to most of them.... Mr. Green

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
atorube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '94 grand cherokee with a AX-15 from the factory, I figured it was the only one.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a few ... But they are pretty rare... I only wish they had made some with V8's I would love to have a 5 speed in my grand.. I would almost give up the V8 for a 5 speed.. ................. Well I said almost....Mr. Green

Renegadestang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atorube wrote:
I have a '94 grand cherokee with a AX-15 from the factory, I figured it was the only one.

A '94 eh? I thought '93 was the only year the stick was available. Eh, learn something new everyday...

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
scottmccarron

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: has anyone swaped a ax 15 into a automatic G.C Reply with quote

I really would like to know how hard it would be to put a 5 speed in my ZJ. so if anyone has or has hear about it please let me know.
atorube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wanna trade swampboy?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.. Come pick it up... rofl rofl

If you really want 5 speed.. I found a guy who says he has done a few...
(For the record.. I have never seen a V8 5 speed grand but he said he has done them... I felt some smoke blowing up my skirt but anyway.. )

He is very good tranny builder.. He build an NP 4500 for a friend of mine and its super beefy...

Anyway.. He gave me a price ..Everything I would need but the pedal assembly and I am getting the money together now...

Its $3500 so it wont be this week.. or the first half of next year ... Mr. Green

But anyway... He may be bullshitting about building a 5 speed grand but he does know his stuff and he offers a warranty...

NV 4500 is the 5 speed they use in the dodge trucks. .So I am thinking I will start checking local bone yards looking for one..

If you want his contact info let me know...
Carl

1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time you talk to him could you ask him what all can be done to beef up the 42re tranny?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: