Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safe Tire Width

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nixt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Safe Tire Width Reply with quote

My 98 5.9 ZJ has a 2" lift (soon to have a 1.5" OME stacked lift as well). I was looking at some of the Interco offerings for a mud tire. I have the stock 16x7" wheels. I have purchased an extra set of the same wheels so I can alternate the trail vs street tires. My question is what is the widest tire I can fit on the wheels (and under the Jeep) without any body mods. The interco offerings seem to be extremely wide and I am worried about them coming into contact with the mechanical parts- brakes, steering gear, etc... The largest diameter I can go for are 31 inchers but they are 12.5 inches wide. Does anyone know if this will work? No one around me stocks them so I will have to mail order them so there is no way to check tire fitment. If the Interco's won't fit does anyone else have any suggestions? I have had bad luck with BFG's and I can't get Pirelli Scorpion Muds anymore. I did however like the Goodyear MTR's I had on my previous Jeep. Any ideas would be appreciated
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
grandjeeper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i hade just the 2inch budget boost, i could fit 31 x10.50 with a little rub on the sway bar when i had the steering wheel cocked all the way over. but my suspention was a little saggy then, so if you have a some what new suspention, then i would think they would fit.

just currious, why dont u like BFGs
nixt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: tire width Reply with quote

First let me set this up. I used to have a 95 Chevy Blazer 4x4. Back when BFG still made the "RADIAL" All terrain I was a big fan and I had a set of 30x9.50 R 15's. On one occasion I was trail riding and I slid sideways down a hill probably 10 to 12 feet and the side of the tire struck a small treestump. It then developed a giant bulge on the side of the tire. It ran well enough to get me home but the belt inside the tire had broken so I had to get a new tire. This occured again the next summer when I was driving around a farmers freshly plowed hill only this time it was a rock about the size of a nerf football and it struck the tire head on. So I had to get another tire due to a broken belt. I never tried the radial mud terrains because they are just overpriced. But to be fair, these comments pertain to the previous generation mud and all terrain tires that had "Radial" in raised white lettering on them. I personally have no experience with the new KO and KM model mud and all terrains from BFG; I think I've just been jaded from my experiences with BFG's in my teenage years.
Nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a metric tire size the 265/75 is like a 32 and the 235/85 is close to a 30 so whatever it is between those sizes

are u running a spacer lift and plan to put more coil spacers on top of them???
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: lift Reply with quote

The lift comes from OME Coil springs and shocks and Rocky Road outfitters coil spacer blocks. The spacers net about 2" of lift and they go on top of the coil. I've seen the OME kit rated from between 1.5 and 2.5 inches of lift. The OME kit comes with very thin shims, not spacers and they are not necessarily required. So no I am not going to try to stack spacer kits. However, I have heard of people stacking 1" spacers together- but that seems like an extremely half-assed way to do things and the geometry of the drivetrain and suspension would probably be way off.

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not just get a 3 inch lift? you get lower control arms then as well as shocks and new coils and then if that isnt tall enough add the spacers
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Lift Reply with quote

The reason I pieced my kit together is because I already had the 2" coil spacers. Before I got a chance to put them on some bitch ran into me and totaled my jeep. I got more from the insurance company than I actually paid for the jeep so after I bought another jeep I used some of that money that was left over to get the OME kit. The OME kit is great, but I agree with you. Had the circumstances been different and I had the money to get a full-on suspension lift all at once I definately would have. However, I have called around to some national 4x4 shops and they all told me that putting together the OME kit with coil spacers won't be dangerous and shouldn't cause any problems as long as I don't try to make any more suspension mods without removing the other stuff first.
nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: tire sizes Reply with quote

I checked out some of the tire manufacturers web sites and found out this:
LT245/75R16= 30.7"
LT265/75R16= 31.9"
LT235/85R16= 32.0"

I am probably going to go with the Goodyear MTR's again in the LT245/75R16 size just to be on the safe side. Also, since they come in two styles- the OE Wrangler blackletter and the aftermarket outlined white letter they are a lot cheaper. On the Goodyear site the whiteletters are quoted at a price of $223.95 but the OE blackletter is only $177.95. To save $46 I don't care what color the letters are. Plus, I'm sure I can find them cheaper if I just shop around.
Nixt

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: