Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front output shaft bent, shop said it would cost $1,000 HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traxxas76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Front output shaft bent, shop said it would cost $1,000 HELP Reply with quote

The front end was virbrating a little and I had no idea what it could have been... so i took it to a shop and they put it up on the lift and locked it in 4*4 and got the tires spinning.... the guy told me that the front output shaft (that connects to the drive shaft) was bent, and that the easiest way to fix it would be to replace the transfer case... his guess was around $1000. Shocked

My question is: Is there any way I could replace the output shaft alone or any part for that matter without replacing the whole transfer case? Sad
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer, yes. Is the $1000 include a warranty and the labor? Sounds steep. Can you do it yourself? Also, do you already have a SYE? You can buy one preassembled from JB Conversions for that price.
traxxas76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be 100% honest I am unfamiliar with the drive tran. as a whole. If it was explained to me I could certainly do it myself if I was not in college...
So any details of how to fix it without replacing the whole T-case would be great
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a writeup on installation of a SYE in a Wrangler. It's the same process and the front output shaft needs to be removed and replaced to install a SYE.

I find it hard to believe you bent the front output shaft. It's not very long and would take a lot of effort to bend it without damaging something else. I would think the d-shaft would have given you problems much earlier.
saharatj98

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really surprised if the front output shaft was bent. Has the vehicle ever been in a front end collision? I can't think of anyone in my group (many jeeping since the 60's) that have ever bent a front output shaft. It is common if hit in the front to push the axle back and break U joints,shaft or case though especially on the leaf spring YJ, CJ ect. Is this a shop you trust? Did you see it for yourself? I'd get a second opinion if you don't feel comfortable digging into it on your own. DId any event cause this or has it always been this way?
BTW output shaft can be replaced for tons less than 1,000 and a replacement t-case is more than 1,000 without adding any labor....They don't know Jeeps, take it somewhere else
traxxas76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my jeep has never been any sort of wreck ever. BUT after the 2 inch BB was put on i was running my stock tires, and it would get DEATH wobble around 45. i mean you COULD NOT drive it AT ALL. i parked it for a few months... you could SEE the front tires bouncing off the ground !!! it was so bad u couldnt read the speedo !! so i took it to a 4*4 shop and they said my belts were somehow broken in my front two tires.... so i put a new set of 32 all the way around and this reduced the DEATH wobble to a lil vibration (which i now believe is the output shaft). i am GUESSING that these very very serious wobbles might have bent the shaft. and yes i trust this shop very much. very honest people. i have not "seen" the jeep since this bent shaft was found.

i might have him drop the front drive shaft out all together, and take it down the road. and if there is no vibration then he is 100% right...

thanks alot guys !!
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxas76 wrote:
i might have him drop the front drive shaft out all together, and take it down the road. and if there is no vibration then he is 100% right...

Not necessarily. If removing the front shaft "fixes" the vibration, that only narrows it down and does not mean for sure it is the front output. It could still be a bent, damaged, or improperly balanced shaft. It could be driveline angles with the BB installed (not likely but possible).

Did you have the vehicle aligned after the BB was installed? You need to.
traxxas76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took it to the shop and tolf them to align it and they said that it was fine. so no...
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traxxas76 wrote:
i took it to the shop and tolf them to align it and they said that it was fine. so no...

What do you mean they said it was fine? They didn't want to do it or they didn't know what they were doing? Seriously, if you're not comfortable working on it yourself, find a new shop that's familiar with Jeeps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: