Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Off road lights

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Off road lights Reply with quote

I want to put two off-road lights on my '94 jeep. I can't decide if I want to put the lights on my bumper or on my luggage rack. I imagine the putting them up high would help illuminate the trail farther down the road but I can't seem to think of a way to run the power cable without exposing the wires or drilling holes anywhere. I just know that if I drill a hole its gonna leak when it rains.

Any thoughts,
Thanks
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have mine on the factory roof rack...i just have the connections so it can be unplugged easily...the bullit connectors i believe they are anywho under the rear seat on the drivers side is where all my relays and stuff are run adn thats where all the wires are stored when i dont have the lights on the roof..(factory roof rack is gravy to slide on and off just unscrew the torx screw and pop off the cap)

the only wires i ran were two power wires and they went up the center console and through a gromet on the drivers side just above the GO GO pedal

as for the wires for the lights i pop open my sunroof and run them through there and this last time i cracked my rear windows a ran them that way...im still tryin to find a way to have the wires run permanently but as for right now this setup works great just have to be careful opening doors if you run them through the windows
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leprechaun, why don't you show him a pic? give it to me and I'll host it for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the lights with the wires run through the sunroof.

And front view.

HTH,
-Stephen

Last edited by Stevo02TJ on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. But now after some serious thought I think I just might run the lights off the front bumper. These lights are some big 6 inch round lights and I think the bumper might be a more stable base. Hopefully I am going to try to get them installed tomorrow along with my lift.

Thanks again!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
zach1288

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

viper24242 wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. But now after some serious thought I think I just might run the lights off the front bumper. These lights are some big 6 inch round lights and I think the bumper might be a more stable base. Hopefully I am going to try to get them installed tomorrow along with my lift.

Thanks again!

Post some pics after your done Wink
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the more I think about it (something I should not do) I am leaning towards the lights on the luggage rack now no . The only thing I need to figure out is where to ground the wires. I think I am definantly going to put it on the luggage rack, now that I realized how wasy it is to install.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
mchinz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i would mount them on the rack, it gives a real nice look (kind of makes the jeep look bigger) when i did it i ran them from under the hood up the passenger side door seal and then right into the side rail of the rack, you see a little wire from the door to the rail but I think that this is the best way without having to do any drilling...good luck and let me know how it turns out. Yea i have no clue how to do pics if someone lets me know i can post some pics of my lights, i have 4 low profile tomb raider lights they look pretty sweet.
viper24242

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't know how to post pics, but I will try to get some up when we get the lift on and the lights hooked up. I have the lights on the rack right now but I haven't wired them yet. So far I think the whole set is a little ghetto looking with the wires and all but I will try to get things a little more stream-lined when spring gets here and it gets a little warmer out.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
viper24242

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after two days and a lot of help from you folks and some help from my best friend and Jeep buddy Pierce, my lift and lights are now on. Just in time for the first snow storm we are "supposed" to get. Thanks for everybody's help. I might not have the biggest Jeep and some people might not even notice a little 2 inch lift but I actually feel like a real Jeeper now! Took it for a little test ride in some mud I found laying around, it felt great!! Now I just need some bigger tires.

Well, I figured out how to post pics but when I leave and come back they are just boxes with red x's on them so here is a link to one of the pics on my online photo gallery.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/411231528/517237839SnFFNn

It may be white, but at least its not an Escalade!!!
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
mchinz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This are the best shots of the lights I have up here at school, I also don't know how to post pics but here's a link. Just realized that my buddy took some pretty sick action shots haha. Check out the rest of the album there's probably some other cool wheelin shots, sorry about the other s*it that's in there.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/500300319/500300319ibdcuY
http://community.webshots.com/photo/500301089/500301089yKKgDM
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ...Boy does that bring back memories....

Back in the day...I had 4 KC's on my roof rack.. and Factory fogs on the bumper...

Then I replaced the Fronts with Hella Black Magics.. And painted the KC's black...(oh and put on a brush gaurd.. Man that didnt last long...LOL..)

Then I built a new Bumper and put the 6'' round lights on that puppy.. They re the same size as the black Magics ...But lenses dont cost $75 like they do with the Hellas... Mr. Green

Obviously alot of steps in between.. But you get the point... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
viper24242

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I will have a hell of a time to play catch up to you oh mighty ZJ guru.

Glad to see you back, its been a while.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
AEM throttle body spacer
nixt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Offroad lights Reply with quote

I've got a Hella remote control that makes wiring anything (it doesn't have to be just lighting) on a vehicle way easier. You just have to have a place to put the sending unit and then control from the driver's seat. I'm going to turn around my hella FF 300's and point them backwards to ward off tailgaiters. I know it is illegal to have 100w bulbs pointed at the car behind you but so is tailgaiting. Plus you don't get any points on your license for mechanical/electrical infractions.
nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha htought it out where was you mounting the lights at tho? turn the backwards from the roof rack?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: