Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Little help on replacing coil springs guys>

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Little help on replacing coil springs guys> Reply with quote

Ok, after havin to break off the lower shock bolts {rust victims}, stripping 3 ratchets and breakin 2 sockets I finally found someone heavy enough to stand on the hub and help me remove the stock coil spring. YEAH! {It was my wife, don't tell her I said that, HA}. I'm in the process of trying notice I didn't say puttin on, haha, a 3in Rusty's aal kit w/shocks. Please tell me this was a good starting point. After compressing the new 3in springs I still cannot get them, with wife hopping on rotor, to go in. So, I was wondering if there was a trick or was I just that stupid, go ahead SAY IT! HA. Is there a way to loosen maybe the sway bar or lower control arm to get this front to drop that 2 extra inches or so to put these puppies in? I have spring compressors on them as tight as feasibly possible, as to not having to worry about slipping and loosing one to outer space! It's funny the stocks after much ado twisted out with little compression and I have the new ones compressed lower than those but they just won't go in! Shocked Also dumb question, but I assume the rear aal's go {under} the leafs and not on top? It's the longer ones. Was thinking about new steering damper and track and or sway bar as well? Not looking to go up to 31's yet as the 235/75/15's r wearing niclely, just looking for some better ground clearance and entry angle. Any help would be MUCHO appreciated!!! Wink Last one, I see some guys talking about "Tellico", I'm in NC and was wondering if this area had any easy trails? Thanks guys........BTW info is "91 XJ bone stock" 300k miles 235/75 liberator A/T's, rear air shocks, 4.0L H.O., manual, np231 TC i think, and going to a Rusty's 3in coil w rear aal, shocks, steering damper. Neutral
badger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhm its pretty easy actually.you have to undo atleast one side on the swaybar.undo both shocks.with the XJ on jackstands so that the front end is hanging jack up one side of the axle .this will cause the opposing side to go down.you shouldn't even need spring compressors.slip the top of the spring on the post slide it up and drop it on coil bucket.done ,do the other side bolt the shocks back up then the swaybar.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to disconnect the shocks, swaybar and sometimes the trackbar to get enough droop on one end to get the coils in. Also, raise the opposite side as far as possible. It helps to angle the side you're working on for better installation of the coil.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys! Seriously I tried the jackin the other side thing, didn't give me enough, and I had the 'ol lady jump on the hub and she's like 180...shhhh haha and that gave me some play but still not enough. The stocks were a bear getting out and I have the new one's compressed lower by about 2 in than those, but I keep having probs gettin past the bump stop when I try to twist them in. I'm gonna try that sway bar disconnect if the rusty bastard will cooperate and loosen, haha. I was thinking that but wasn't sure if it would give me any more.The shocks were already off, first thing and I got her on 2 ton jacks {body} as high as they go. I'm close, but if I had not compressed the new 3 in coils I wouldn't even be this close, they seem impossible to fit, and I'm not looking forward to trying to remove the compression springs, jesus it's tight in there. Well, let u know later, I'm off to bloody knuckles and freeze my arse off, lol. Rolling Eyes
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Little help with front coils> She's going.... Reply with quote

Ok I got the dr side done {dropping the sway bar was the trick THANKS!!} now I'm on the pass side and the stock coil was a breeze, but I see it looks kinda easy to get to the steering stabilizer so I tried. EHHH wrong haha. The nuts and bolts came off rather easy but HOW THE HECK do u remove the boxed end and the studded end from their hiding spots??? I tried hammer, nope, any ideas? Thanks again guys. John Sad
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself a tie rod puller to use on the tapered end in the draglink.
badger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets put it this way .i put in 8" skyjacker coils with just a highlift and a floor jack .jacked up the entire truck put frame stands in had both shocks diconnected (i don't run swaybars)jacked up the other side with the floor jack and swung in new coils.another trick is to pull the bump stop and hold it inside the spring as you swing it in.then reach between coils to push it back inplace.i even did mine with the wheels still on it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: