Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New owner of a 91 xj laredo w/ a few coments and questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzook

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: New owner of a 91 xj laredo w/ a few coments and questions Reply with quote

Well i just picked up a 91 laredo w/105000 miles. I paid $1800 U.S. for it. The only thing wrong with it is the usual bad paint. The interior is in excellent condition. It has power windows, locks, mirrors, seats. It has the overhead console w/ temp and compass. I beleive it has the factory tow package.(how would i know fore sure? It does have a tranny cooler in front of the rad.) The truck runs great. I cant beleive how much power it has. My only concern is the temp of the vehicle varies from 190 to about 230 degrees. It goes up and down continuesly. Is this normal? B.T.W. i picked up the truck yesterday, and woke up to about 2 inches of snow today! I dont like the snow, but i had alittle fun today!
87laredo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked mine up a couple of weeks ago for really cheap. I bought it because it was dirt cheap, but I'm really impressed with it. Anyway, my engine temp did the same thing. I put a thermostat in it (192*) and that cleared it right up. I'm really impressed with the power from the 4.0. It's not quite as powerful as my old 5.0 exploder, but it makes up for it in gas mileage and off road ability, not to mention i can lift a cherokee for 1/3 the price. I'm having a blast with mine.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: new xj owner Reply with quote

hey suzook congrats! Treat her right. Have u tried a lower therm say a 185 or even a 160? Also mine fluctuated once and my mech back home said pop the hood look at the very rear most section of the head {on a cold block now duh!} haha and under that last injector rail theres the engine sensor it has just a little thin wire attached to a pop on cap to the nipple. Sometimes this gets loose or dirty what have u. B4 u go spend $ on a new thermo, try to find it and clean it some and make sure it's making a solid conection to the sensor on the engine. Good luck.
HooterXJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 91 XJ w/105K mi back in 1996. Had identical overheating problems. Does the temp vary with driving conditions (Hwy/City/Trail)? After several months and the following attempts, I finally got it taken care of. Install 190deg Thermostat (no), install Trans oil cooler(still no), Drain and flush coolant(no again), replace water pump (no), recore radiator (no), Upgrade to Heavy-Duty Radiator (yes). Despite all the work and years of heartache, upgrading to the 1.5" radiator finally fixed it. It's not a difficult replacement, and worth every cent if you've exhausted the simple options. Good luck - my XJ's still going strong at 210K!
suzook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i replaced the thermo, it is much better, when i drive on the hwy, it fluctuates from 180-210, but it never is steady. i guess thats ok? it never overheats though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: