Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow lots of info, thanks to all 4 the posts. Quick question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnabroad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Wow lots of info, thanks to all 4 the posts. Quick question. Reply with quote

Hi, just finished about 90 mins of reading and learned more in that time than I have since buying my Jeep New in 1997.

I have a 1997 Jeep TJ 4.0 Sport. Its all stock 30/35 with 3.55 gears and its my everyday driver. I have had it off road in the past, mostly mud trails and some small sand hills - but that happens maybe once a year. Until recently I had never had a major problem with it, but now I am faced with 2 repairs and wanted some opinions on how to go about them before opening my wallet.

1. The catalytic converter needs to be changed - you can hear the death rattle miles away Very Happy. I live in Cali however so I need a CC that will pass emissions here. I also thought this would be a good time to replace the muffler. Having moved from a FLAT area to central CA the hills are really killing me furious. So anybody have any ideas of a Cat conv / muffler combo that will work in CA and give me some added power?? I'd also rather not have to wear ear plugs to and from work, so louder is not better in this instance.

2. The rear Dana went POOF so I need new ring and pinions etc etc. Is this a good time to upgrade my gear set? Since I am running stock 3.55 what upgrade would everyone recommend?? Right now I do not plan a lift or bigger tires, the 30.5s are fine because they are only a year old, but I could see myself going to say 32s in the future as I hear there are a lot of off-road opportunities in CA.

Anyway thanks for all the advice I have already gotten and any comments are appreciated.

Rgs,

Jason
Lowrider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagnaFlow makes a high performance catalytic converter to go along with their high-flow exhaust system.

http://www.magnaflow.com/

These are supposed to be the highest flowing converters you can buy but they're Australian so I don't know if they're available in the USA or not.

http://www.metalcat.com.au/

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's CARB approved, you should be okay. Just be sure it is CARB approved before dropping any money. Wink

I replaced mine a while back (the cat) and the stealership wanted around $350 for the cat. They're not difficult to replace if you've got basic hand tools (sawzall helps) but depending on what month you bought it and how many miles you've got, you might want to haul butt to the dealership if you're still covered by the 8 year/80k mile emissions warranty. I put a Banks exhaust on mine at the same time. One of the cheaper stainless steel exhausts I was able to find and it is louder than stock, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me (can't much hear it over all the squeeks and rattles. Wink )

If you need to replace the r&p and don't plan to swap axles in the future, then yes, it's probably a good time to regear. But, keep in mind you'll also need to regear the front axle to match. You can use this chart to figure out what works best for you based on your future tire size.
cdnabroad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: thanks for the replies Reply with quote

Great chart Very Happy now I can see why everybody raves about the standard setup of the Rubicon. I called the exhaust shop and yes the Magnaflow combo will work, they are also giving me a pretty good deal on the cat and labor since according to them its easier to swap out the entire cat / muffler system than to replace the cat alone.

It goes to gear shop on wednesday so I'll discuss options with the chart in mind. Thanks again. dancing banana
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: