Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2000 WJ - Battery Volts Drop - RPMs Drop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m5m1th

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: 2000 WJ - Battery Volts Drop - RPMs Drop Reply with quote

2000 WJ mystery:

It seems like an alternator or battery problem, but the alternator (original) and battery (less than 1yr old) both check out OK according to AutoZone's analyzer.

When I stop at a stop light or stop sign, my RPMs momentarily drop from the usual 700 to about 550-600, the battery volt meter drops from the usual 14 to about 12.5, and the lights dim (but it also happens in the day without the lights on). It seems like it is just on the edge of stalling. Then, after about 15 seconds, the RPM's will come back up to the usual 700, and the battery volts will go back to 14. This will cycle back and forth while stopped. When I'm driving, the battery volts are always at 14. It seems like something is cycling on and off causing a voltage drop, but I can't figure out what it could be (not the AC).

I still think that it's the alternator, but AutoZone's analyzer leads me to think that it's something else, and those puppies are about $250, so I'm reluctant to just try one out of curiosity, but I will if nobody has any other advice.

I put new plugs in it less than a year ago. I replaced the fuel pump module in my 1996 ZJ once, and hope not to have to do that again on this one.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem in a WJ?

Last edited by m5m1th on Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:33 am; edited 2 times in total
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a simular problem, but from me its only when the blower motor is on high. Also I recently changed the belt, and since than when its cold the belt squels or when the AC compressor comes on it squels also. It gets alot of looks Sad and I dont know how to fix it. I tried to loosen the belt that didnt help so now its pretty tight and still makes the noise. Would belt dressing help?? But For the voltage problem for me I just thinks its too much of a draw, anyone else care the chim in?
m5m1th

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Florida now, but I used to live in Ohio. It did it there when it was 0', and it does it here when it's 95'.

I put a new belt on it in March. I've never experienced a belt squeal in my '96 ZJ, or my '00 WJ.

The blower motor has no effect on the problem in my case.

By the way, it's the I6 4.0 engine, and a 4x4, with 101,000 miles.

I'm about half way through a tank of fuel system cleaner, and it isn't making any difference on the idle yet.

I'm also about to change the steering damper shock, and grease everything back up, because I get a sustained back and forth wobble in the steering after I hit an average bump in the road.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try the Throttle position sensor... Mine acts crazy sometimes like that and changing it fixes my problem. (Before you change it you might want to Get some throttle body cleaner and clean that puppy up real good... Also.. Take all the sensors out and clean them good to.. (Especially the Idle air control on the back of the throttle body...)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WJLTD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine idles low sometimes, but I haven't noticed any electrical problems associated with it. Mine drops to the point of vibration, too. About 500 RPM.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466307
newzj97jeeper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I had to change the exhaust manifold I tried to clean the intake with a little bit of carb cleaner on a rag and just wipe off all the crap that was in their. and when I was at autozone and looked I couldnt find and throttle body cleaner, is carb cleaner ok to use or should I just use some eletrical contact cleaner for the sensors? also, my belt squells like a 12 year old school boy who just had show and tell with his teacher so, it only happens when the ac compressor is on (ie defrost/ac) and only when the engine is cold. the belt seems really tight to me and it is new. and suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: