Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound system

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
94jeep

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sound system Reply with quote

What speakers are in it? Where? How many? What size? and how do you get to them, also what kind of boxes have you all been putting in them for subs?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know that many of these guys have a system in their rig....

but as for my i have a grand and im running two 12s in a dual q-logic box and believe it or not i still have room for my spare medium ammo can for recovery gear and a big box (roughly 18" by 18") with my repair manuals and such

i dont know if the grand has more cargo area or not but thats whats in my cargo area
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what stereo options it had from the factory (as well as what aftermarket stuff anyone did). The standard system had two speakers in the front doors. The sound bar option added two in the rear roof. The "premium" system was pretty much the same, except it has a woofer and tweeter in the front doors for a total of 6 speakers. The overall speaker quality was a bit better with the premium system and there was a 100 watt amp under the rear seat. With the exception of the tweeters, all speakers are 5.25" in size.

There's a small "cubby hole" on the pass side rear where most people place a small sub. Amps can be placed under the seats (front or rear) if you want to hide them. What I did was a 45x4 Watt Kenwood head, with a set of 6.25" Pioneers in the doors (had to cut metal to make them fit) and a set of 5.25" Infinity's in the rear. It's loud and has some punch, so it suits my purposes....it is a wheeling rig after all. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.crutchfield.com they have boxes to fit inside that cubby hole in the rear
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: XJ sound systems Reply with quote

I'm running Audiobahn 5.25 components in the front with Alpine 5.25 coaxials in the rear. Two Kicker L7 solobaric subs in a ported enclosure in the rear. Six channel amp, 100 wrms to the front speakers, 300 wrms to the subs and the rears are running off deck power at about 20 wrms or so. I've also got a 5 farrad cap. My source unit is a Pioneer. You can do just about anything you want to your jeep. What you need to be careful of is your mounting depth in the doors. You only have about 2" of mounting depth. You can put in 6.5" speakers in the front with some trimming. Audiobahn has the shallowest mounting speakers I've found that still retain some amount of quality. You're rear speakers will be 5.25. You might as well stick to that size back there. Subs and amps are entirely up to you. Use what ever you like there. This is all based off my 2001 XJ. I'm sure they're all about the same going back to around '88. Q-logic also makes premanufacuted kick panels, but chances are you'll wind up putting your foot through the speaker or your passenger will. If you have any other stereo related questions, feel free to e-mail me at airforceyooper@yahoo.com. Just put stereo questions or something in the subject line so I don't delete it.
hawaiianice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one 12inch JL in an Obcon box, with 4 infinity 6inch speakers, and 2 MTX amps mounted under the driver and passenger seats. Hit me up if have and questions.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to have my amp under the seats until they didnt get enough air and got hot and shut off...just a reminder that they do get HOTT
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building a whole new system in my XJ. I'm putting in two Focal Utopia 6.5" mids in each door with a DLS UR1 tweet in each door. I'm going to fiberlass new door panels for the project and sound deaden the hell out of the entire Jeep. I'm going to use active crossovers from an Eclipse CD 8455, UNLESS I build a carputer which I'm also looking into. In the back I'm going to fiberlass a sub enslosure into the drivers side back window with the subs (2 Elevation Audio Pro 12") firing down onto the amps which will be fiberlassed into something cool underneath the subs. I think I'm going to use either Elevation Audio, DLS or maybe Zed Audio amplifiers. Not sure yet. I'm building a PC audio analyzer to better set up and tune the whole thing. It should be pretty slammin once I get it all done. I'm going to start working on it when I get back from Iraq in May.
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
I use to have my amp under the seats until they didnt get enough air and got hot and shut off...just a reminder that they do get HOTT

Chances are the reason is got hot was insuficient wiring rather than lack of air. An amp under the seat should have been getting enough are to keep from getting too hot. I'm just guessing, but I'd say either your power and ground wires were too small or you may have had multiple subs wired to the amp in a configuration that presented too low of an ohm load to the amplifier. For instance, the amp might have been able to handle a 4 ohm bridged load and you were running 2 ohms to it. Something like that. Also, too small of speaker wire and/or a bad grounding connection can contribute to heat issues also.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4WD Hardware sells a sub to go in that "cubby" in the rear also.

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
AirForceYooper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just an enclosure. I definately wouldn't get it with the optional speaker they'll provide.

I'm putting two of these in the back of my rig http://www.elevationaudio.com/pro12.htm