Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Excessive vibration when Idling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue TJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Excessive vibration when Idling Reply with quote

Hey everyone just wanted to get some opions from yall about the following issue. I have a '02 TJ with a 4" lift and in the last 6 months I have been having this problem of it excessively vibrating while idling at a complete stop in both drive and reverse. When I shift it into park or neutral it still vibrates but not nearly as much. I have installed a slip yoke eliminator and a polyurethane transmission mount, but that is the extent of what I have done to the driveline. The engine idle RPM's are reading at 750 which is normal so I dont have a clue what the deal is. Any ideas on this matter will be greatly appriciated, thanks.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive vibration when Idling Reply with quote

Blue TJ wrote:
I have installed a [snip] polyurethane transmission mount,

Guess what? Polyurethane does not absorb vibrations as well as rubber.
Blue TJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that polyurethane doesnt absorb vibration as good as rubber but that fact cannot acount for this much vibration. My friend has the same mount in his Jeep and it doesnt vibrate half as bad. Thanks for the reply though.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a significant increase in vibration upon replacing my transmission mount with a poly one.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did also, and whne I added a body lift and motor mount lift, the vibes went from bad to worse. Now I don't notice it anymore, but it took sometime to get used to it. You might want to ccheck your harmonic balancer and make sure it's not out of wack.

My Morning Jacket
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somethings off...I have a polyurethane trannie mount, poly 1" Body Lift kit, and a poly 1" motor mount risers...no vibrations at all...

I agree with Keith, take a look at your balancer. If it's vibrating at idle in Neutral...something isn't balanced on the motor side...or...someone swapped in solid motor mounts when your back was turned.

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason, 4cyl vibrate more than 6 cyl. I have two friends that run the same setup as me and they have hardly any vibes compared to mine.

My Morning Jacket
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: