Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heater not hot enough

View previous topic :: View next topic  
87laredo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Heater not hot enough Reply with quote

Hey, i just bought an 87 cherokee a few weeks ago, and the weather just got really cold a few days ago. My heater doesnt work terribly well. The temp guage sits at about 70degrees celcius, which would seem to me to be too cold. I put in a 195 farenheit thermostat, which didnt help much at all. Has anyone tried running their engine without the mechanical fan, and just the electric one? I'm thinking of trying that, but i want to know if anyone else has had luck doing that, or if anyone has any other ideas.
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, usually people complain that they're running too hot, but not hot enough? What engine are you running?

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

Sounds like you either have something stuck open or a bad guage. I would not disable the mechanical fan because I think the electrical one is only on when the a/c is on. I would check to see if the radiator hoses are hot to touch after the vehicle is warmed up. If so then it seems everything is flowing ok. If not maybe you have an air pocket somewhere, some older models have a closed system. When it's really cold (below zero) I sometimes shove a piece of cardboard to partially cover the radiator. Lastly, if all hoses are warm you may want to check the heater hose bypass valve, it is on the passenger side near where the hose goes through the firewall. This valve is moved by vacuum and they tend to stick one way or another giving limited flow to your heater core. I had an 86 that I used to use a screwdriver to move it for the season. Good luck.
87laredo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The engine is a 4.0 inline 6. I've done some more checking, and the bypass valve seems to be open. It's about 20 or 30 below zero here right now, and my engine just wont warm up. According to the guage, its at about 70 degrees celcius. It should be around 100 degrees celcius with the 195 thermostat. I pulled the mechanical fan off just to see what would happen, and it doesnt seem to run any hotter. I ran it inside a heated shop today, and found that inside, it runs at about 100 degrees celcius and has great heat. The electric fan kicks in and keeps it there. As soon as i pulled it outside, the temperature dropped. I've put cardboard over the grille (we call that a saskatchewan thermostat here, a little canadian humor) and it doesnt help a whole bunch. I'm going to try a belly tarp next to keep some more heat in. Any other ideas would be great.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Brrr Reply with quote

Yikes, I thought it was cold here and my heater is having trouble keeping up at 10 to 20 degrees above 0. Maybe between covering the front and making sure the rubber flap is still under the front end you will keep it warm. When the flap starts to droop alot of people rip it off. It covers from the radiator to near the front axle parallel to the ground so I would think it would keep cold air from getting up in the engine bay. Good luck.
87laredo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubber flap? Yeah, that must have gotten ripped off. I'll just do the belly tarp thing. I't warmer today, almost 15 farenheit, and the heat is sort of ok.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Same here Reply with quote

I have an 87 Cherokee 4 cylinder. The heat isn't that good either. I'm going to change the thermostat. Some one told me to check the heater core but I don't see one on it. I'm going to change the thermostat first. I'm getting ready to go out into the cold and change the broken sway bar link.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: heaters Reply with quote

The heater core is deep under the dash behing lots of plastic. Not a fun thing to work on. If it's not leaking (which you would know) and the pipes going through the firewall are hot when at normal temp then that should be ok. Honestly, I haven't owned any Cherokee's or Grand Cherokee's that had good heat when the temp is below zero.... I'm on my 4th now. Maybe it has to do with them being inline 6's with big radiators. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: