Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPM keeps going up and down at idle.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kh6ity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: RPM keeps going up and down at idle. Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Jeep Laredo recently purchased with 43,000 mile on it. About a month after the purchase I began to have problems with the idle. In park it moves between 750 and 1300 rpm. When the engine is cold and I start the car, the rpm goes up over 2300 rpm and i cringe at the sound from the engine as it starts at a super high rpm and no oil circulating. I took it to my local mechanic. He can't find the problem and said I needed to take it to the dealer. Does anyone have any advise before I turn myself over to a dealer? Regards, Larry Brownsville, Texas
Lowrider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad Throttle Position Sensor.

2006 Wrangler Unlimited
1997 Cherokee Sport 2WD
kh6ity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply to Lowrider Reply with quote

The mechanic said the same thing about the TPS. But after connecting a computer to the car he said all showed OK. He said he suspected a vaccume leak, but I find it odd to believe a good mechanic couldn't find a vaccume leak. Any ideas? Thanks, Larry
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hooked my jeep up to the computer because mine would die for no reason...computer showed everything ok but we changed the Crank sensor and it fixed it..try the TPS anyway if its not terribly high priced
KnightFire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st instinct says vacuum leak. Try taking a can of TB cleaner and selectively spraying areas prone to leaking while the motor is running...if the idle RPM changes as you spray an area...voila, you just found the leak.

TPS is an easy/cheap fix to try as well...I'd try to hunt for a leak first though.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: