Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tarheel4x4

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Exhaust Reply with quote

I want to upgrade my exhaust on my 2000 XJ. Im a fan of flowmaster, but is there anything else i need to look for? I just want the muffler most likely. If i do go with flowmaster, which would be better? 50 or 40 series?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what kind of tone you want. The 40 is going to sound deeper, but it will also sound louder from inside the Jeep. The 50 will be quieter inside, but exterior tone won't be as deep.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Renegadestang

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna be replacing nearly my whole exhaust (rusted out). I would replace my manifold with a header also, but I don't have that kinda dinero laying around currently. I want a pretty loud exhaust, so I'm going with the 2-chamber Flow's, with NO Delta Flow, because it quietens it down too much... Twisted Evil

1981 Jeep CJ-7 Renegade: 307-4V SBC, SR-4 4-spd., 31x10.5 Wild Spirit's

1966 Ford Mustang: 289-4V, C4 Auto.
Gonzalo Medina

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: mufflers Reply with quote

What ever you get you cant go wrong with flowmaster try summit racing they have the best pricing and if you plan to add cats make sure there high flow- defenetly worth the extra bucks my catco cat flows rich...
hawaiianice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont bother with high flow cats they dont really do much in the way of performance, and are pretty much a big waste of money.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

I agree with hawaiinice on the high flow cats, not gonna pick up any noticable diff there and depending on ur state I'd just cut it out if u can. If not leave it alone and go with the 50 series as Phantum mentioned a little lower inside than the 40series. I have a 50 series on my Titan with duals and it's fairly quiet enough for the wife around town but if I get on it she let's u know she's there. haha. but that's a V-8, anyway as for the jeep i think it will sound sic with the 50 just right, although I was wondering if u were set on the Flow? I have seen a Dynomax system, muffler and tail pipe cat-back bolt in which would do just about the same but a little less noise maybe for around $118 is the avg. I've seen this system for $95 though plus shipping. Not bad since the mechanic shops start around 79.99 for just the muffler. Again I have to plug Rusty's....He has a flowmaster 50 series kit cat-back with tail pipe for $155 I believe plus ship. Or he cuts u a break on a total pkg. for $255 u can get the exhaust, an intake tube, a true K&N filter, and a TB spacer. You can't go wrong at that price to pick up maybe 20-30 horse and a bigger boot in the pants in mid-range power. I'm gonna get this when the dinero flows after x-mas again so I'll let ya know. Good luck and light em up.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with cutting the cat out is that on 96+ models the O2 sensor is mounted into the cat (I think pre-96 models have one there too, not sure though). If you remove the cat, the check engine light will go on. You can install an O2 simulator which will trick the ECU into thinking that there's an O2 sensor there, but they cost around $200. So it's cheaper to just install an OEM cat.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: exhaust Reply with quote

Right sorry about that Phantum, forgot about the year differences, ur right on after 96. My '91 has the o2 sensor in the rearward bend in the pipe like a foot b4 the cat and for my year new sensors are around $65 for bosch. I wish there were some ways to "trick" my oldy on certain things. So the only reason I mentioned maybe cutting it out is I found out in this state that pre 95 or 96 vehicles don't have to pass emissions so didn't know where u were. I'm sure on the o.e.m.'s ur only gonna lose a pony or 2. Does anybody think Magnaflow is worth the price of admission? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: