Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Closed to Open but Probs...Where to begin?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Closed to Open but Probs...Where to begin? Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Sorry this is long but I need help. Yikes! 88 Cherokee Laredo with Inline 4.0L Six.

The Saga continues: Radiator.com sent me a replacement radiator NUMBER FIVE today!

The First was a TRANSPRO (GDI) hissing steam from inside the seams. I couldn't pinpoint it since the fins covered everything.

The 2nd TRANSPRO leaked from the base of the rad neck. Removed it today. Needs to be returned.

The Third (CSF, much better quality) where the neck connected to the tank was smashed in. Never installed. Fedex needs to issue calltags and pickup.

The Forth (CSF) drain**** was pushed in. I opened this one with the carrier UPS and upon viewing the damage I refused it.

Finally, the FIFTH (CSF) is perfect and was installed today. Fired it up and let it reach 210 (or so I thought). Dual Electric Flex-a-lite Fans kicked in but the temp kept getting hotter and hotter almost 240 deg. I saw the overflow bottle bubbling and then shutoff the engine and let it cool.

Oddly enough, with the 2nd TRANSPRO (even though it leaked slowly from the base of the neck) the engine ran at 210 degrees (normal for a Cherokee) and the fans would kick in and maintain that temp while never going any higher towards overheating (240-260 degrees).

I've done nothing different other than swap the radiator with the new CSF. So why is it overheating? I replaced the Rad Cap. Is the Rad Cap any good since the overflow bottle bubbled when it nearly overheated? Hope I'm making sense.

Bad Thermostat? Is the Top Rad Hose supposed to get hard when the engine warms up? Will that indicate that the Thermostat opened? Coolant too watered down (after taking it apart so much and replacing the lost with water)? Maybe that changes the boiling point?

Also, I'm including this info in case it might be the culprit. But they seem to work ok. The Dual Electric Flex-a-lite Fans are controled either manually (with switch on console) or auto by a control box. The Temp Sensor in placed inside the TOP Rad Opening and the Rad Hose placed over it.

Help.

Thx, Phil
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Prob Solved. Turns out there was a few trapped pockets of air. Bled it out and all was good again. Even better than it was since this was a conversion from closed to open!

Thx, Phil Very Happy
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: radiator Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are all set.

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: