Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98TJ vs 05TJ

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MISSFIRE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: 98TJ vs 05TJ Reply with quote

I want to know is if there is realy $5k worth of stock improvments to a used 05TJ automatic 4.0 with 35k miles then a 98TJ automatic 4.0 with 35k miles? I don't realy want to pay $5k for a ignition system. I don't know anything about TJ's so please give me your feedback.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your asking whats the difference between the two my guess would be that the 05 is newer in years therfore will cost more money...as for the upgrades i cant really help you there but i believe in "If it aint broke dont fix it"
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is only $5000 difference between an 05 and a 98, similarly built, the 98 is either overpriced or the 05 is under priced.

Is the 05 worth the extra $5000, technologically, there isn't really anything that would make me spend $5000 more for the 05. But you need to ask yourself if spending an extra $5000 on a vehicle is worth it when it is 7 years newer. Less stuff to fix and less stuff that will break in the near future.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a huge difference from year to year. Mainly just conviences. Seat fabrics, bar padding, roll&tumble rear seat a little more user friendly.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i bet there is more parts in the aftermarket for the 98 than the 05
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you didn't mention what model the 05 TJ is. if it's a rubicon, then i would probably spend the extra since it does come with quite a few upgrades that you might have to put in yourself otherwise(lockers etc..). if it's not, then it depends on what you want to do with it. if you have the $5,000 to spend and would like to lift your jeep and do other stuff, then i would get the 98 and use the $5,000 you saved to modify it. if your just looking for a daily driver and don't do any work yourself, then i would get the 05 because it has warranty.

hope that helps.
________
Tacuma

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on which transmission they have, the 2005 should have a six speed and the 1998 will have an AX15 (unless they have auto transmissions.) Also, do they have warranties?

I just ran TJ's through Kelley Blue Book - same features, same miles, different years and this is what I came up with:
2005 Jeep Wrangler $18,145
1998 Jeep Wrangler $11,365

Now if they have the 2.5 or 2.4L engines, those numbers are totally off. Wink
MISSFIRE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will not be a daily driver and it will be a automatic. I might end up cuting the rear fenders and going with tube fronts fenders. I want to strech the wheelbase out about 8". 2" forward and 6" back. If I can I would like to run Atlus tcase, full width Dana HP 60's and coilovers on 39.5 TSL's with beadlocks. This is all want in one hand and XXXX in the other untill I see howmuch the TJ is going to end up costing me. This is why I'm askig you guys. I need to know if there is a big differance in HP or a big differance in automatic trans between 1998 and the 2005. I don't care so much about the last gear in the trans but I care about the first gear. Is it the same first gear in all automatic TJ's? Thanks again for your time and look forward to read your reaplies.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISSFIRE wrote:
It will not be a daily driver and it will be a automatic. I might end up cuting the rear fenders and going with tube fronts fenders. I want to strech the wheelbase out about 8". 2" forward and 6" back. If I can I would like to run Atlus tcase, full width Dana HP 60's and coilovers on 39.5 TSL's with beadlocks. This is all want in one hand and XXXX in the other untill I see howmuch the TJ is going to end up costing me. This is why I'm askig you guys. I need to know if there is a big differance in HP or a big differance in automatic trans between 1998 and the 2005. I don't care so much about the last gear in the trans but I care about the first gear. Is it the same first gear in all automatic TJ's? Thanks again for your time and look forward to read your reaplies.

You probably should have included this in the first post. kick

In this case, get the 98. No point spending $5000 more on a vehicle you're going to hack up and replace most of the major stuff.
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In this case, get the 98. No point spending $5000 more on a vehicle you're going to hack up and replace most of the major stuff.

exactly
________
Ford CE14 platform history

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MISSFIRE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]
You probably should have included this in the first post. kick

In this case, get the 98. No point spending $5000 more on a vehicle you're going to hack up and replace most of the major stuff.[/quote]

Is there a engine power or auto trany diffrerance between the two? All I want to change is after the trans that why it's so important to know. Shocked
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't take this the wrong way, but i'm just curious.

part of me thinks you seem to know what you want and what your doing based on the describtion of your future mods to the jeep. but then you sound like a first timer asking about a $5000 difference and don't know about power/tranny difference. how much do you actually know about these modifications and how often have you been wheeling? or are you just copying these specs from a cool vehicle you saw somewhere? just wondering.
________
hotels in mexico

ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISSFIRE wrote:
Is there a engine power or auto trany diffrerance between the two? All I want to change is after the trans that why it's so important to know. Shocked

Engines are basically the same. The 98 will have a 3-speed auto that is very tough. The 05 will have a 4-speed auto that seems to do well but is not as highly regarded. I don't know the first gear ratios....however, they're kinda pointless with an auto as you have a much better ability to creep with the torque convertor.
MISSFIRE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scorpio_vette wrote:
don't take this the wrong way, but i'm just curious.

part of me thinks you seem to know what you want and what your doing based on the describtion of your future mods to the jeep. but then you sound like a first timer asking about a $5000 difference and don't know about power/tranny difference. how much do you actually know about these modifications and how often have you been wheeling? or are you just copying these specs from a cool vehicle you saw somewhere? just wondering.

LOL Thats ok to ask I think? I have been wheeling sense the late 80's but was raised off roading with my family. I have had a 72 FJ40, 73-74 early Bronco's and many modified Yota trucks. I have also dragraced for years. We still own many of the cars like a 1965 Dodge Coronet FX 426 Hemi car, 1964 Plymouth Belvidere FX light weight 426 Hemi car, 1962 Plymouth Savoy 413 Super Stock, 1964 Ford 427 light weight Bill Strope Thunder Bolt and many others. We still have a few of the cars stuck in the shop. They just don't look as good as they once did. So yes I do know motors and drive train rather well I just have never owned a jeep this new. Like they say it's all about the foundation. I just want the best starting point without paying for stuff I don't need. Check out one of the cars I just put together. It is 92" wide and 103 WB. We are able to get around 24" of rear wheel travle. http://webpages.charter.net/scoffman/ I can't weld very good so I had my friend at Sandco Performance Products out of Ramona Ca build the frame.
MISSFIRE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
MISSFIRE wrote:

Engines are basically the same. The 98 will have a 3-speed auto that is very tough. The 05 will have a 4-speed auto that seems to do well but is not as highly regarded. I don't know the first gear ratios....however, they're kinda pointless with an auto as you have a much better ability to creep with the torque convertor.

Great ehirner. That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks everyone for the input. I think the 98 is going to be my focus.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: