Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warm heater not HOT!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dewey962

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Warm heater not HOT!! Reply with quote

It's going to be my first winter with my 97 TJ. Its my first jeep period. It seams like my heater only blows out warm air not hot. The engine temp is normal, about 200. I read in an another post about a resistor. Would that have anything to do with it? The other guys at the firehouse with TJ's say their's melts their face off.
ZmancanCU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having the same problem. Anyone have any ideas.. Thermostat need to be replaced?
KnightFire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you last flush/fill the cooling system? Has the heater ever been back flushed?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZmancanCU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine in the Jeep was a swap out @ the beginning of the year so the coolant is fresh
dewey962

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the radiator about a month or two ago. No I've never back flushed the heater core. What would be way to go about that?
KnightFire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flushing kits can be found at most auto part stores (they are pretty cheap), these contain the hose/connectors needed. Remove inlet/outlet hoses on the core and simply hook up a water hose to intake port of the heater core, then flush with water, do the same on the outgoing port of the heater, you'll be surprised how much 'gunk' comes out. Keep the flow of water going until the clear water comes out of the core.

I would also recommend burping the system of all air bubbles after doing this process, a few air bubbles can cause heating problems too.

This site may help:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/sub_care_sat/1302791.html?page=1&c=y

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jiles111

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem. The normal radiator flush will not work on this problem. The problem is that the heater core that is in the cab is clogged with junk. To fix this take off both Heater core hoses at the front of the engine. Run some water through the smaller hose (The one that does not attach at the thermostat) at medium pressure (Dont put it under high pressure because it will blow the core seals. I did this without the Kit. I just used my hand to make a decent seal. Sure water dripped here and srayed there, but I have my heater again!). I did this with a water hose at 1/2 blast. You will need to alternate the pressure to loosen up the really big junk. I had to do this for about 10 of 15 minutes before the water was running clear. When I got the Jeep warm again my eyebrow hair was singed by the heat coming out of the vents Mr. Green
Hope this helps.
Other possibilities: Warn impeller on the water pump. You would overheat the motor often if this was the case.
http://bigcountryoff-road.com/
dewey962

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flushed my heater core and works great!!! Now the girlfriend says it's too hot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: