Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep won't start think it is the starter.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Jeep won't start think it is the starter. Reply with quote

Ok well we planned on dropping the jeep off at the shop tonight for them to inspect the front end and suspension. Well tonight I stopped by my parents to get my dog. (Mom puppysits during the day when I work) We went to leave and my Jeep wouldn't start. It was a loud metal squeal. You like when you forget your vehicle is running an you turn the key to start it well it was like that. So my dad towed it up to the repair shop. Lucky my dad has a towing business so I got it towed for free. He said that he thought that maybe it was the starter or a bad spot in the flywheel so I called the shop and they are going to check the starter.

So for the inspection for the starter and the front end and suspension it will be $75. But they wave the fee if they replace parts in those areas which oviously they will. I know it will be a little costly but they have a lift. The guy that works on my dad's trucks (dad has no time) is really cheap, but does excellent work out of his own garage at his home. He replaced the brake booster, master cylinder, and fuel filter for $50. So any stuff that needs a lift goes to the big shop otherwise he gets my business.

I don't know about vehicles enough to do it my self. I can check fluids and replace radios but that is about it.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Go with the cheap mech. LOL Reply with quote

Hey I put my own starter on my '91 XJ myself within 45 minutes. I'm no mechanic but fairly inclined. As far as the lift at the big shop goes, pfffft!!! Get the guy u know cheap to do it. As long as he can get it up enough on a jack to get under the pass. side fender, then he can install it, no problem. Now I don't know how much your jeep means to you or the conditions you drive in, but I'm a firm believer in you get what u pay for. So, u can skimp on a starter...usually $65-200 bucks but If u want it to last and crank everytime, think about going with a better brand and model. But that's just me I know ppl went with reman. starters and have had no probs for 3 years, so....dunno what to tell u there. But, if it is in fact the starter replace it immediately with your friend and the heck with the big shop. I only use them for front end alignments and brakes if I don't feel like gettin bloody..haha But the rest on a jeep u can pretty much do yourself. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Smile
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: They called Reply with quote

Well the bolts were loose on it. I already had an appointment with them to fix my swaybar link that was broke. They also said that I have no rear brakes and it needs a front end alignment. My dad's mechanic can't do any of that stuff so I have to go to the big shop. I knew it needed the alignment. My Jeep is my baby even though it is an 87. Its my winter transportation and work during the summer. It gets better gas mileage than my 2002 PT Cruiser which I hate. I have to wait to pay off the loan then I'm going to trade it in probably on a Grand Cherokee since they don't make the Cherokee's any more. But that won't be for two years.

So I'm trying to get ahold of my hubby to approve to get the rest of the stuff done which will be done tomarrow.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Bolts loose Reply with quote

Well can your hubby or dad's mech tighten up the bolts to see if just maybe that was the reason? I mean why replace a starter and throw $ at something could maybe be fixed by just tighten up 2 bolts....then u know. hahaha And not to sound bad, like I said I'm not a mechanic but just what exactly is the kind of mechanic your dad has?! I put on my own calipers and front pads and rear drum brakes as well and mine's a '91 so I know they gotta be close. Also did my own sway bar bushings and links front and rear sway bushings.....maybe u need to light a fire under hubby's arse or something else. hehe Twisted Evil Seriouly this stuff isn't that hard to do as long as you have the patience and the basic tools and the willingness to give it a try. All these guys I see that have a jeep and never get under the hood or ever seen the underside, u know always taking it to a mech. when they hear a little noise don't make jeepsters in my book, but hey. To each their own. Good luck.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: bad news Reply with quote

They tightened the bolts on the starter and fixed the swaybar link. When they took it for a test drive they said that the wondering problem was fixed but it needed a front end alignment. They also said that the rear brakes are not working. So I had them inspect the brakes and they said that on the following:

Front End: Both hoses are split, and need to replace the left front caliper. Plus the things that you loosen to bleed the brakes need replaced. Both are broke off.

Rear End: Both cylinders need replaced. 1 is seased up and the other is leaking. Rear shoes and drums need replaced they are at 20%.

So its going to be $900 for everything including the work they did on it today. He said that it looks like these are all original parts and that they never had any work done. Which is true because it wasn't used that much at the FD. And they guy that I bought it from only had it for a year when I bought it.
feuer895

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this same problem with mine it was the neutral saftey switch that caused the problem so when ever it doesnt turn over i put it in drive and switch it between D and N and jam it into neutral
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: