Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What aftermarket stuff should I do?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: What aftermarket stuff should I do? Reply with quote

Ok I have a 1987 Cherokee 2.5L 4 cyl. 4x4. Everything is stock. I was looking for a aftermarket intake for it but can't find any for 1987. So it looks like it will just be an air filter.

What is the best one to improve performance fuel mileage?

I also was thinking of changing the wires and plugs. I was thinking of the ones that have 3 or 4 pronged ones. What sets should I look into?

Anything else I should look into?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plugs and plug wires will help...clean out the throttle body with some carb cleaner change the air filter...new muffler and high flow cat would really help
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks. I bought a cheap aftermarket muffler for like $30 from Advance. Maybe next summer I'll install a new cat on it. The exhaust pipe was broke off the front of the cat so my dad cut it off along with part of the bracket. and just straight piped it to the muffler and then angled it down. I would like to put a full exhaust system on it. The pipe from the engine is normal then someone put a smaller pipe on to the cat. I hope I can replace the pipe from the manifold too the new cat in the summer and add the full pipe at the end. I want it to be up to specs in case I get stopped sometime.
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try E-bay or Google. Amazing what u can come up with. Not a big fan of the 4cyl. but plenty of stuff out there for both. Tune-up kit with wires, plugs, dist. cap and rotor runs around $45, u can get a cat-back system for around $100 that is supposed to bolt right up. I have seen dynomax and flowmaster, depends on the tone u want. They also make TB spacers which I installed last night on my 4.0 '91 XJ but it has a whistling issue I need address. But the extra ponies are there, dunno about the 4cyl I know at least u will pick up some mpg. Intakes are cheap and mostly do about the same thing. If u mostly drive on the road or some dirt roads go with the K&N cold air which should be around $185 or e-bay has alot for under $40 bucks with a cone filter. If u go offroad alot, in high water or mud holes, then I suggest keeping the stock air box and try a K&N drop in for $40 or an Air Hog by fram. As far as going with the hotter plugs, it's a toss up. I looked into Nology or Denso Iridiums which gurantee HP but jeeps arent made for that. The bosch platinums are good and the 4 prongs as u call them disperse a more even spark across the node for cleaner burn which may also give u a few bump in mpg. But if u are trying to pick up midrange power and kick in the pants.....I'd say leave it to the 6cyl. LOL Not much torque or power in the 4cyl, but u can make it peppy and definately get more than 24mpg which the 4.0L hardly see. haha I have an Accel tune-up kit and ignition coil on mine with the groove plugs and 8mm wires and can feel the difference in faster starts and better fuel mileage. the kit was like $49 and the coil $42, both from Summit Racing with free shipping. Dunno about ur state laws but if u can cut out the cat u might be better off, depending on where the O2 sensor is. Good luck! Smile
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

header...what does your budget allow?
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: not much Reply with quote

I don't really have a budget that's why I'm going to go with plugs and wires and new air filter. Eventually I'm going to go for a high flow cat and cat back exhaust.
dizzymac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your probably better off with Champion plugs or the like, Jeeps don't perform all that well with the three and four electrode plugs. Get some good wires. Look for a less resrtictive flowing air cleaner, check out ebay.
Keep oil/filter clean and remember DON"T Fram before you slam it. Poor quality oil filter.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Ok, I wrote it down. Thanks. That will fit my budget. I'm always on ebay. I always use K&N air filters because I can get them locally. But I'm going to check ebay to try to save some dough. Definate on Champion plugs my dad has always used them. Thanks again for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: