Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thermostat and More...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Thermostat and More... Reply with quote

Hey,

So I went to Pep Boys to exchange the Thermostat for one with a hole. Unfortunately NONE of them had a hole? I then went to four other Auto Part Stores and the same there; NO HOLE.

The only Thermostat that I could find that was different was a "Fail Safe" type. It's designed to blow open and prevent the engine from further overheating.

Q1. Anyone know if this "Fail Safe" type will do the same as one with a "Hole"? Hope I'm making sense.

I think the only place that I can get one with a hole is from Jeep Mopar. But the dealer's price is usually pretty high. Don't wanna waste money on a part when the above can do the job.

Q2. How about Synthetic Oil for the 4.0L Engine? Will using it hurt this engine (mine's a reman).

Q3. Speaking of Synthetic Oil, I heard (don't know how valid it is) that Castrol Syntec, and many other "SYNTHETICS" are NOT SYNTHETIC just purified, hydrocracked regular oil. Anyone heard about this?

Thx, Phil
Confused
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One with a hole? What do u mean and what year and make is yours? I have a '91 XJ I just installed a regular $11 therm on with no problems. I have heard of higher flowing thermostats for around 30 bucks but never one with a "Hole". I think the recommended O.E. stat is a 185 but u can go up or down depending on when u want it to open. As far as synthetic oils go I'm sure it will mix with whatever u have in there now although they say not to mix oils, so if u go syn, get as much as the old oil as u cna out and stay with syn. I don't think u will see any benefits with using synthetic and would be throwing money away on the higher stuff when regular will do. I believe castrol is a decent brand oil and I use it in GTX 20w50 weight. The rear mains as well as other places are known to leak on these but I've been using this oil for over 100k miles w/o any problems. Now on my new Titan truck with a v-8 I use mobil 1 full syn in 5w30 but that's different application. As far as the castrol being a purified or hydrocracked style, u got me never heard of that. Check with your mechanic. Good luck finding therm with the umm Hole. Confused
MachineMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock thermostat is 195F. Get a high flow stat made by Robert Shaw and marketed under Prestone or Mr. gasket. They open up much wider. Kragens / Checkers have the Prestone one for around $10. It lowered my freeway speed temp by 5 deg. I compared my standard old one (right) to the high flow (left) in the oven, check it out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: