Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Superchargers vs Engine up grades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
never lost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Superchargers vs Engine up grades Reply with quote

I new to the TJ, but I had a 79' CJ7, I miss her. As a present my wife bought me a TJ for coming home from Iraq. It's a 97, 2.5l with 31 x 10.5 tires. Beside the stereo, air filter and shitty replacement soft top (pavement ends) it seem to have no other mods done by the previous owner. I want to up grade the engine with a Hemi "who doesn't". The Problem is the cost. Then I checked on superchargers. I found one on http://www.avengersuperchargers.com/ It seems to good to be true. What is the form's advice on the supercharger?

If you're wondering about the CJ, I had to give it up, because I was moving to Germany. It would not have pass any Germany vehicle standards.
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off - welcome home! it's always good to hear about guys getting back to the states and with their loved ones. secondly, i'd probably shy away from the chargers at this point. i've heard of plenty of people having average luck in getting their jeeps tuned in with turbos and superchargers - but that was with very low miles on their donor jeeps. the age/mileage on your 2.5 may be a downfall in the end. maybe look to regearing first? it won't make your jeep a ferrari but should cancel out the effects of the larger tires.
chris (hopefully coming home finally in late january)
never lost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris
I hope you come home safe.

So far I have 100456 miles on it. I could upgrade my ring & pinion to 4.88, vs the stock 4.11. I think it would be throwing money away. In the future, I would like to upgrade my rear diff to 44's, lift it 4 inches, and add a winch and more. I was wondering if the swap was worth it. I had a 258 I6 in my cj and I was fine with it. With this tj, the 2.5 is used for daily driving, and non-serious off roading. It would be cheaper to go with the supercharger, to get the power with what I would like to do. I just don't have too much information on superchargers. With engine swap, I still get the power I want. In the end, I'm not worried about making my box into a Porsche Boxster. It's about mudding and rock crawling.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:
chris (hopefully coming home finally in late january)

When did you leave?
never lost

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came home late June, a week before the 4th of July. I'm in the 10th Mountain Division, 2nd Brigade Special Troops Battalion.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job! My Family supports you guys over there.
I have a buddy going to Iraq in Jan. but he’s not allowed to tell me where he goes or what he does, and I may not want to know either.

One thing that would concern me is the high mileage on your motor, when you install a supercharger it creates stress on the piston rings, specialty if you run higher boost. If you do decide to install one, you might have to put in new piston rings. Rings lose there strength around the cylinder walls as they age resulting in blow by, and this would cause your oil pan gaskets to be forced outward, and that would get real messy in hurry.
Also, to make sure oil gets to the supercharger, a high volume oil pump wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
99TJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of putting in a six cylinder better than a supercharger. I just think it will work more reliably for a longer period of time. You could get a rebuilt 4.0, if that interests you at all. Probably would bolt right up to the tranny, but require fueling/computer changes and more complex install than a supercharger. With 31" tires, I don't think I would go any lower than 4.11s in the axles, but that's just my opinion. I agree that a motor with 100k miles probably isn't the best platform for forced induction. There are also some real nice inline 6 strokers being built out of the 4.0 block, one built by Golen looks real nice and wouldn't cost too much more than a fresh built 4.0 long block.
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding a supercharger would be a cheaper route than buying a rebuild engine. I'm not sure what the cost of a blower kit is for a Jeep 4 or 6 cyl but I do know that they run about $2,500 for a V8 Camaro or Mustang. If you do a ring and bearing rebuild the cost is minimal, (about $500) then you can add the blower and know that everything is tight.
Just as a compairson, a rebuild can be as much as $6,000, depending on how much power you want, and how much you do yourself.

4.6 strokers I6 I hear can be on the pricey side but, you are getting in some cases almost 300 smog legal hp.

Create motors are another way to go. Chevy, Ford and Dodge have some strokers motors that throw out a lot of torque and have factory warrantees and can be setup to pass the sniffer test. I personally would go with the Chevy EFI 383 stroker. with 435hp and 460lbs of torque.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: