Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Banks Exhaust System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Banks Exhaust System Reply with quote

I am in the market for a new exhaust system and am leaning towards the Banks rather than the Borla. I have heard that just the Stinger alone can give you upwards of 25HP. Anyone want to comment on that? I would also like to know how difficult it is to fit the header assembly to a TJ.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta replace my manifold as well and was looking at going with the Banks setup. I believe mine's cracked, but haven't actually checked it out yet. My check engine light comes on after about a day after resetting it, the two O2 sensors I replaced were crispy critters, and it does make an unusual noise during throttle. I'm guessing this points to the manifold being cracked like just about every other 4.0l TJ on the road. Oh yeah, gas mileage blows as well Rolling Eyes .
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly the words 'Wrenchfest' and 'Guinea Pig' spring to mind. I dont know why. flipoff agree
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I give in. I'll be the guinea pig Rolling Eyes ........you buy the headers and I'll be down with the TJ for fitment Wink flipoff agree .
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the Banks in mine since Oct/Nov 03. My header was cracked and decided to do the install before it got really cold out. (Inspections up in March). Anyway, it wasn't too bad of an install.

No performance gains that I could notice...and the noise I thought was from my cracked header, is still there. I've rechecked the bolts and they're all tight. No leaks that I can detect (no exhaust odor in the engine compartment and a couple guys that had leaks stated the header would glow orange...which mine hasn't done)...so I don't know what's causing my problem. It makes a ticking/hissing sound under acceleration.

I doubt you'll get 25horses out of it either. But the lifetime warranty was the reason I spent so much...if...err, when it likely goes again, I don't want to have to buy a new one.

I'll offer up some help if you want a Wrenchfest.
PAJeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the claim of 25 horses was for the Stinger not the header.
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAJeeper wrote:
I'm pretty sure the claim of 25 horses was for the Stinger not the header.

Yeah well...I got them mixed up. Either way, I doubt it produces 25 extra hp anyway.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 seems like a stretch, but who knows. I have Banks stuff on my truck, it did increase the performance, mileage and decreased my EGT's (it's a diesel thing.) Overall, a little pricey but high quality products.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to replace my exhaust, by the peice or the whole deal, I would go with the Banks system. I like the Borla system also, but if you see them side by side, The Banks looks beefier, especially at the flange mount.

As far as HP claims. 25 sounds high for just a header change. I would hope that they can show some form of independently done dyno charts and data to back that up. Was that a real world or controlled environment test? I dont know about how Banks came up with that number, but did it show at what RPM it came from. I have seen high HP numbers that were at 5000rpm's. My Jeep dont hit 5 grand ever. I doubt that engine could handle those rpm's for long.

Now replacement of the entire system, including a hi-flow cat and a decent breathing intake as well may start making hp gains like that. But generally torque numbers will fall as the flow improves.

My plan is to run what I got untill something fails or breaks. Then replace it with aftermarket parts. I'll use whatever brand catches my eye at the time. Other than that, I feel that the gains to be gotten are few.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
quadna71

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatWasIThinkin wrote:

My plan is to run what I got untill something fails or breaks. Then replace it with aftermarket parts. I'll use whatever brand catches my eye at the time.

i remember saying that exact phrase way back when i had 215/75r15 tires and my front bumper endcaps still installed. hmph! personally - i've been eyeing the banks setup since they first released it for the tj. like wwit said - once something finally goes THEN i'll swap it out with the banks. i did put the flowmaster (series ?) on already and got close to 45 horses from the muffler upgrade alone! Laugh
chris
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you get the HP improvements unless you install the stickers as well Laugh . I''m not looking nor expecting to gain anything other than the piece of mind from replacing yet another piece of half assed OEM junk Laugh .
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'drack wrote:
I don't think you get the HP improvements unless you install the stickers as well Laugh . I''m not looking nor expecting to gain anything other than the piece of mind from replacing yet another piece of half assed OEM junk Laugh .

It's definitely the stickers. The Banks stickers have got to be the coolest product sticker I've ever seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: