Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

xj autotranny cooling line conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waynebosz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: xj autotranny cooling line conversion Reply with quote

I'm converting an '87 4.0L Cherokee radiator with a '92 CSF rad and having problems at the automatic trans line cooling fitting. The bottom fit is an ok match, but the top fitting is different. I understand that I should be able to use the fitting off the '87 but uses a lock nut that appear and/or difficult to remove. I used a crescent wrench to pry loose but the nut doesn't budge. It looks welded on with the fitting somehow screwed in. Can I remove the plumbing from the '92 without any damage? Is it just screwed in? Is there a website to order these items? Please help! I would like to complete this project because the remaining steps seems pretty straightforward.
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: xj autotranny cooling line conversion Reply with quote

waynebosz wrote:
I'm converting an '87 4.0L Cherokee radiator with a '92 CSF rad and having problems at the automatic trans line cooling fitting. The bottom fit is an ok match, but the top fitting is different. I understand that I should be able to use the fitting off the '87 but uses a lock nut that appear and/or difficult to remove. I used a crescent wrench to pry loose but the nut doesn't budge. It looks welded on with the fitting somehow screwed in. Can I remove the plumbing from the '92 without any damage? Is it just screwed in? Is there a website to order these items? Please help! I would like to complete this project because the remaining steps seems pretty straightforward.

Hey Waynebosz,

I just completed this mod in my '88 4.0L Laredo with a 3-Row CSF Rad. What a world of difference it made!

I didn't use the Rad's Tranny Cooler, I used an external one mounted to the front of the Condensor and also added an Oil Cooler. An external Tranny Cooler is better since it has higher capacity for cooling unlike the internal one.

However, if not adding this you can use the internal one. That Top Nut that looks like it's welded because it is. Since you already connected the bottom it's np to connect the top just get the matching fitting that screws over that Nut. Most Auto Parts stores should carry them or you can get them where you bought the Rad.

Good Luck.

Thx, Phil Smile
waynebosz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: 1987 oil cooling line resoution Reply with quote

Thank you Phil for your response. JEEZ! It's just a few days too late. You could have saved me the unnecessay money that I spent. I resolve it my taking the rad to a local rad shop and the technician actuallly removed the fillerneck side of the '92 CSF and replaced it with the cooler line fitting side from the '87 rad, welded a fillerneck to it and closed the temp sensor hole for $35.00. Looks original. Everything is working properly, so far. Temperature remains well below 200 degrees.

Take care.

Wayne
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Wayne,

Glad you got her done. From my experience, most mechs will fix your prob but will most of the time go for the more expensive repair first.

See, in your case he could have just gotten the fitting slapped it on and voila! Done.

BUT, he chose to get some more greenbacks outta your pocket by doing it another way. I hope it's guaranteed and will last. In my case, my CSF is guaranteed for LIFE (unless of course I make any mods to it)!

btw - Anyways, glad your Jeep is running ok. I know, it pains me when I have to troubleshoot something else... knock on wood.

Thx, Phil Cool
waynebosz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DIGITRUCK,

I definitely voided the lifetime warranty on my CSF, but my jeep is the only means of transportation and I could not afford to be down much longer than I had to.
Take care. HAPPY JEEPING AND HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY SEASON!

Wayne
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: