Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O2 Sensor giving me trouble.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Dajaaza

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: O2 Sensor giving me trouble. Reply with quote

1997 TJ

My check engine light came on yesterday so I took it to the shop and plugged it in. The computer says "a slow response in the front O2 sensor".

When I was told this, I'd considered getting a new one but the shop insisted that I not bother yet because though it's a slow response, it still works and will work for quite some time.

Anyone else with some insight on this? And now with the bright check engine light permanently on, can I pull a fuse or something to hide it?

Any quick info would be handy as I am taking her about 1500kms north tomorrow morning.

thanks,
J
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be fine for your trip so go enjoy.

after you come back i would look into changing it out. it might possibly hurt your gas milage a little but that depends on other factors to. if it responded slow long enough for the light to come on, but then works fine again for a while you might not even notice. either way, just put a new one in when you come back from your trip.
________
silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a senser, so I wouldnt worry to much about it. If your engine light comes on during your trip then its most likely the senser, as long as everything else is ok.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
bltracer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Change it ... Reply with quote

My front O2 went out on my 97. Yes, it is a sensor, but with OBD2 vehicles, the computer adjusts according to what the sensor are telling it.

Mine ran rich due to this sensor, killing the cataletic converter. As the cat went, it took out the rear O2 sensor, finally filling the muffler until plugged.

I tried an "after market" O2 sensor, and it died about 30 days later.

I finally bit the bullet, bought 2 new O2's from the dealer, a cat, and a muffler.

Keep in mind, this is an OBD2 vehicle, and if in California (like me) the smog tech can fail you for putting anything in other than dealer original parts. I am a manager of an auto parts store and get great discounts on anything we sell, but when it comes to OBD2, I will only go to the dealer for the parts I need.

My 2 cents.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I shouldnt have been so lazy on my responce rofl
My bad...sorry.

I didnt mean to imply that nothing should be done about it should the engine light come on for whatever reason. But I guess what I was wanting to say is that if the O2 isnt on now, then dont worry about it. But should it come on, it dosent mean the end of the world either and you dont have to drop everything and race into a dealer immediatly.

ekb55

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that on my 06 Rubicon I kept getting the code that the 02 sensor was bad. The dealer went to replace the sensor on the converter and apparently it was crossed threaded from the factory. They in turn ordered a new converter and sensor. One day later the engine light was back on. The sensor in my case was also telling the computer of a constatnt lean condition which in turn made the fuel system dump fuel in like crazy.....10mpg to be exact compared to 18 mpg now.

I had previously put on a new Airaid intake, full system from throttle body to filter and a spacer, no problems. I then put on a full Magnaflow System. Not long after I put the exhaust on I started having the problem with the check engine light. The dealer sumized that the exhaust system was causing the problem, not enough back pressure?????? I called magnaflow and they had never heard of such a thing. Well, I really did not want to remove the exhaust so I took off the Airaid and put back the stock airbox with a drop in KN.........guess what....NO PROBLEMS NOW.

I am now running the stock airbox setup with spacer and Magnaflow exhaust. although the code indicated it was an o2 sensor, the culprit was really the cold air intake. On the 05 and 06 wranglers, the sensor for the air flow sticks in to the airtube directly across from the pcv valve hookup. I don't know if the location of the pcv valve directly across from the airflow sensor is the problem or not, all i know if that since I went back to the stock set up, no problems
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 18 miles per gallon. Thats a keeper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: