Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STICKING 4 WHEEL DRIVE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DOUGNRENEES

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: STICKING 4 WHEEL DRIVE Reply with quote

QUESTION..I HAVE A 99 CHEROKEE SPORT.WHEN I DISENGAGE THE PART TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE. IT SEEMS THAT MY FRONT PASSANGER SIDE DOES NOT DISENGAGE. COUPLE OF MINUTES LATER IT MAKES A LOUD BANG AND ITS OUT OF FOUR WHEEL. ANY SUGGESTIONS..
Gniederg

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - this is a great question. I have a "new to me" 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport that's doing the same thing. Why won't it dis-engage and what's the "clunk"?

Now - if I'm pulling into my garage - and put it in 4H - then a minte later take it out of 4WD - it works just fine. Rolling Eyes

I hope someone can explain the delay -- and the "clunk"
scorpio_vette

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one possibility is that you might have a bad u-joint. usually when you put in in 4wd it's because you need it. so your probably also turning your tires while your driving and your bad u-joint binds up.

that's why when you pull straight in your garage it doesn't happen because you didn't turn the wheels far enough to the side to bind the u-joints.

go find some open space and try this: drive in a tight circle in 2wd and then straighten out and see what happens. then do tight circle in 4wd and listen for any weird noise and then straighten out and disengage while going forward. when you do that in 4wd it puts more force on the axles and u-joints which might cause them to bind. had that happen on my wifes 97TJ. if you hear/feel a difference after you try that then have your u-joints checked.
________
volcano classic

Last edited by scorpio_vette on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Titan4u2c

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with scorpio_vette, although mine is a '91 XJ I still had that exact issue a few years back with a bad u-joint binding on a tight turn. Now I have the np231 transfer case which only has 2wd, 4wd high, -N-, and 4wd low. I believe this is called the command trac and others have the selec-a-trac which may be yours? It has part and full time auot kinda for slippery conditions, think it works like on-demand when it's engaged. As for the delay part, maybe if not the binding joint releasing itself, then maybe a computer related issue when telling the shaft to disengage, if these are so equipped I'm not sure. But I know after 96 they went with more convience otions and more junk for the computer to watch. I hate to sound stupid and this may only be a mental issue...haha but on mine sometimes I backed out of 4wd 10 feet or so, like on the old fords. I swear it would work sometimes and I would hear a slight clunk, disengaging and then all would be fine. Only thing sucked about that was if I just went through a nasty hole, then reverse wasn't exactly on my mind! LOL Byt eh ask your mech or a Jeep dealer about if they have any type of relay going from the shift lever to anywhere that might cause a delay in disengaging? But my money is on the joint binding. Good luck. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: