Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what size rims for 10.5's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: what size rims for 10.5's? Reply with quote

i searched and searched but couldn't find a satisfactory answer, sorry if this seems like i'm beating a dead horse...

i've got an '01 TJ that i ordered a set of 31x10.5R15 BFG M/T's for. the rims i have are stock 15x6's. i would like to buy new rims, but i'm not sure what width and/or backspacing i need. are 15x8's ok?

in the meantime, can i run the 10.5's on the 15x6's? any drawbacks? should i wait to mount the new tires until i get rims too?

thanks,

brian
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can run the 31s on 15x6 wheels. It likely isn't recommended by the tire manufacturer but neither are 12.5" wide tires on 8" wide wheels.

Seven inch wide wheels will probably be your best bet. Eight inch wide wheels will work also. However, if you intend to go offroad and air down, the wider the wheel gets in comparison to the tire width, the more crap you'll pick up in the bead and the easier it will be to lose a bead.

As far as backspacing, 4.5" should do you well. Any more and it'll limit your options in the future. Any less and you'll begin to have issues with the tires sticking out from the fenders/flares.
bulldogger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
bulldogger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:

As far as backspacing, 4.5" should do you well. Any more and it'll limit your options in the future. Any less and you'll begin to have issues with the tires sticking out from the fenders/flares.

ok, wait. just got back from the mechanic today, he lifted my jeep, 2.5" body, 2.5" suspension. we were talking about the tires and i asked him about backspacing. *a word of caution first* i live in mexico and while i speak spanish well, technical words are beyond me sometimes. ok, so i was trying to ask him about backspacing and i think he understood. he told me that i want the tires to stick as far out as possible. understand that down here there are no laws about "street legal", "inspection" or the like, anything goes anywhere. i drove around for a month with no license plates and got stopped exactly once, and it cost me 20 pesos (2 dollars, give or take) to get out of it. so when you refer to issues with the tires sticking out, are they legal issues or mechanical issues? im seeing ads for wheels with as little as 2" backspace. is that safe? recommended? bad idea? i use my jeep for daily driving as well as frequent wheeling, though nothing crazy, beach, mud, some rocks. im a newbie not looking to overdo it. oh, just in case you forgot, the tires are bfg m/t's 31x10.5r15's.

i just want some black steelies, but i don't want to mess up when ordering.

thanks

brian
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogger wrote:
so when you refer to issues with the tires sticking out, are they legal issues or mechanical issues?

If you don't have vehicle requirements or inspections...then the legal issues don't play into the equation for you. I'm from Pennsylvania up in the US. The tread on our tires must be coverd by the fenders or fender flares. Aftermarket fender flares must not exceed 3" in width. This makes for some creative setups to get the tires under the flares without running into legal problems. Most times, the width of the flares is overlooked in order to have compliance with tire coverage.

There are also mechanical issues. The less backspacing you have, the further the wheel/tire sticks out, and the greater the force on the hubs, knuckles, balljoints, bearings, etc due to more leverage on those components. This is pretty simple physics with respect to levers and leverage.
bulldogger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sucks about the legal crap. ive forgotten what a pain it can be.

so if you didnt have to worry about street legality, as i dont, whats the most backspacing you would put?

the thing about living down here is sometimes safety isnt the first thing that comes to mind. so when the mechanic says i should have my tires as far out as possible, im wary. maybe hes thinking for stability sake, but hes not thinking of the down side, or he is thinking of the down side and how much money hes gonna make off of me in the future to fix it. i wish i could just do all this stuff myself.

im from NY originally, never owned a vehicle of any kind til i moved down here though
Very Happy
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogger wrote:
so if you didnt have to worry about street legality, as i dont, whats the most backspacing you would put?

If I didn't have the issues keeping my Jeep street legal, I'd run full width axles. Wranglers are 60" WMS-WMS. I'd probably be looking at around 63"-65" for more width from the axles rather than deep dish wheels with low backspacing.
bulldogger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: