Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cold weather starting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qkslvr_95yj

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: cold weather starting Reply with quote

new to board..
looked but found no help...

i've got a '95 YJ 2.5L w/5spd 120k miles

i bought it over the summer and have been going through and doing a thorough tune up myself (not a mechanic but fairly inclined)

however this latest problem has seemed to stump me and is getting on my mechanics nerves...

as soon as the temperature outside drops below about 30 (f), i cannot start the engine. brand new battery allows a finely working starter to crank but no catching... relays all click and grounds ok, possible computer issue..

anyone have any experience with this problem?
i really don't want to buy a new computer for it.. waaay to much $$$
shvlhd666

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, this may sound stupid, but . . . What you have is called a thermal related short. Somewhere, when it is warm out, a wire or connection is able to make contact. But when it is cold, the wire/connection pulls apart breaking the circuit. I learned this working on Harley Davidsons.

The best thing to do is to get a really hot hair dryer or a standard heat gun and carefully warm up one section of the ignition wiring harness and relays at a time while having someone periodically try the starter. Hopefully, when you warm of the faulty area in the system it will start up for you which, obviously, will point out the thermal related fault.

Just be sure and not melt any of the wiring!!!!
qkslvr_95yj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds about what my mechanic came up with. he thinks that the thermal related short is actually in the computer... i'm going to start calling salvage yards to see if i can locate a replacement. hopefully that will solve it.

thanks for the help shvlhd666
shvlhd666

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try www.j&wautowreckers.com I have had pretty good dealings with them.
shvlhd666

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. The correct site is http://www.jwjeep.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: