Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovemyjeep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: New Tires Reply with quote

As I am pretty new to Jeeps, does anyone have any suggestions on new tires? I have the stock ones now and would like something a little bigger for my Sport. I don't want to spend too much but do want something a little larger (not necessarily wider but higher). Any suggestions?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on this link which will direct you into our Suspension and Tire Section. Lots of good info there for your reading.

As far as what to do about your new tires, thats hard to say without finding a little info out from you. Mainly what type of driving do you do? How much offroading vs. on road use do you typically do? Realistically, what kind of offroad terrain do you think you will encounter? Mild? Wild? or somewhere inbetween?

We all have our favorites and a fairly wide range of opinions as far as what type and brand tire we here favor. Some tires are pratical for daily driver Jeeps and some are not.

My personal fav's right now are:
For offroading or mud, I like TrXus MT or BFG MT. Both are great offroad tires that have decent road manners to a point. Mud or Max Terrain tires dont last long with lots of road use. IF the front end allignment is kept in check and rotating them is an absolute must every 3000 miles you should get @ 15-18000 miles out of them. The TrXus are very soft and stick great on slick asphault. But in snow I prefer the BFG MT.

MT's are noisey, and like to wander around on road. They typically run with a much lower air pressure in them and realy dont offer high speed confidence. With MT's you realy want both hands on the wheel once your over 55mph.

For a more highway friendly tire I prefer the BFG ATko. Its a decent offroad tire. Not great for deep mud, they dont self clean as well as the MT's do. But still for even some moderate offroading, like dry river beds, rock, forrest trails and such, they are a good tire. I found them to work well on slick or snow covered roads.

Typical mileage for AT's is 25-30000+ again taking some care of them with proper inflation, timely rotation and keeping the front end in check. BFG AT's have great highway speed manners. They stay put and dont have the wander or hunting around feel to them like MT's do.

Without a lift the biggest tires your should run on a stock TJ is either 31" x 10.5" on a 15" rim or if your Jeep has 16"rims, then LT265/70R-16 is fine. It also is slightly under 31". With either tire on stock wheels you may get some small amount of rub at full turn. This is easily corrected by shimming the tire stops with a washer or 2.

Anything taller or wider than those will require a lift or possibly aftermarket wheels with less backset to push the wheels out so they wont rub.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have buckshot mudders on my grand and i have over 15k miles and im around or a little over half tred....my jeep doesnt want to wander the road either

but yes i strongly agree with the rotation and checking the tire pressure
lovemyjeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions on tires. I actually don't do any off-roading (atleast not yet!) so just want something a bit bigger that can handle both city and highway driving. Any other (cheap) suggestions?

Thanks!
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of pretty decent and relitively cheap tires out there.

Kumho makes a highly recomended and cheap mud terrain and all terrain tires.

PepBoys has a BFG AT knock off that sells for fairly short money too. Thiers is the Futura Dakota. Ive had these in the past and they were a pretty good tire. They wore very well also.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just baught 4 BFG AT KO's 32X11.5 and I really like them, they give a good ride on and off the road, there quiet and give good traction in snow ( if you have snow ) and there suppose to last 50,000 miles, but I did spend $800 for the set of four .
If you have stock wheels, 31X10.5's would be the biggest tire you can fit without rubbing on the lower front suspension arms in sharp turns.

While were on the subject of tires...Does airing down help in snow or not? Just a thought.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: