Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flowmaster or magnaflow?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
belushi17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: flowmaster or magnaflow????? Reply with quote

I want to put an exaust system on my 2000 Jeep Geand Cherokee but I don't know whether to buy a flowmaster or magnaflow exaust system....Does anyone know any difference in the two that can help me out
WJLTD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Question. Is your Jeep I6 or V8?

Here's the low down.

Magnaflow makes great products, all Stainless Steel. Their Mufflers are Straight-Through, which means they have a tube straight through them (yes, you can see end to end in the muffler) that's perforated with stainless packing material found around the through pipe. Straight throughs offer a quiet idle, a great sound under throttle, but are nearly silent on the highway.

Flowmasters are aluminized steel, which will eventually rust (It may take years, but still). Flowmasters are also a Chambered Style muffler. These have no packing, but have metal baffles welded in the path of the exhaust gases. These are very deep, have a prominent idle, and will drone (have deep interior resonance) on the highway.

Straight throughs flow better, chambered mufflers don't flow much better than stock (Yeah, they flow better, but you won't feel and increase in power.)

I asked if you had a 6 or 8 cylinder because Magnaflows will sound a little ricey on a 6. If it is a 6 cylinder, go with Flowmaster. If you have a V8, either will be fine.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466307
BaBeL

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about between the magnaflow, borla, or flowmaster. Which is better for a 99 grand cherokee limited? which has the better sound? Best output?
and by using them can you still pass emissions inspection in N.Y.?
WJLTD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will all pass emissions.

Magnaflows are straight through, and have a good tone, but are only a shade louder than stock at idle. When you step on the loud pedal, they'll wake up. Outside, they will make a "clapping" noise sort of like a glasspack when at full throttle. You won't hear this inside.

Borla is straight through, and has a much deeper idle than stock, but not too much louder. They really wake up at 2500+ RPM, and sounds great throughout the powerband. Nice and smooth too.

Flowmasters are chambered, have a more noticeable idle volume, and are very deep. They will drone in the cabin. 3 Chamber Flowmasters will be nearly the same volume as Borla under Throttle, and 2 Chamber Flowmasters will be quite loud.

They all sound great though.

Magnaflow and Borla will give the most power, at similar output. Flowmasters due to the chambered design, will not give you much more than 1-2 HP. From the exhaust, don't expect to make more than 5 HP from any catback.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/466307
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like having the nice idle sound as well as a nice acceleration sound. I have a flowmaster 50 on my 5.2L V8.

Nothing irritates me more than having some ricer pull up next to me and then they hit the gas and they go from no sound to ear shattering sound with a nice mechanical whine accent tone because they bought a cheap wal-mart coffee can muffler. I've torn up a wannabe fast and furious driver a couple times. Its nice to put them in their place with both sound and power.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
nixt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: flowmaster exhaust Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with Viper 24242. I got the 50 series on my 5.9 and it sounds great. Mine was the SUV model but I'm not that sure if it is the flowmaster "Delta" model or not. I believe the Delta has higher flow through the muffler for a slight power increase as well as being louder under acceleration but quieter under constant engine speeds. I called flowmaster directly and they gave me the part number. I didn't want to change the whole system since mine came with 2.5" pipe stock with a 3" tip.
Nixt
with 2" coil spacers for 3.5-3.75 total lift
235/85R16 Goodyear MTR's Measure a true 32"

Life has No Value,
But Death Has Its Price.
viper24242

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the delta model and when I pull into the bike shop where my friend works he tells me he knows when its me that is pulling in. It sounds nice.
Flowmaster 50
Rusty's air tube
Rusty's steering stabilizer
AEM throttle body spacer
120 amp alternator upgrade
Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: