Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Driver's Side door won't unlock.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Rear Driver's Side door won't unlock. Reply with quote

I keep forgeting to post about this. On my 87 XJ the door won't unlock to open it. The lock lever will flip back and forth but not all the way. Is there anyway to get it open? My dad has an unlock tool set.

Can I just use that to unlock the door then take the panel off and see what's up. That is the only door that is causing a problem.

Also did the 87's have power locks or is there a way I can install power locks? I plan on lubeing the locks on the front doors when I install the speakers. The rear doors don't have a lock but I guess I will have to lube the lock mechanism. I'm going to drive the Jeep to my parents in the morning. I have to pick up a speaker box out of a car he ended up with. I figured I would try to unlock the door then.
DIGITRUCK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JCG,

I'm doing this now in my '88 XJ. I removed all the panels, cut a small opening in the moisture dam. Then lube the hell outta everything that should move, window tracks too.

Then put it all back together and work those switches windows up/down and lock/unlock for about 5 min each door and move on to another door. Don't do it longer than 5 min or you might burn out the mechanism. Repeat as needed to work the lube into the sticking parts.

Good Luck.

btw - My next MOD/REPAIR you may be interested in as well. On the early XJ's (yours and mine) the rear door locks (when the vehicle gets old and )builds resistance in the wires don't always get 12Volts at the locks.
The result? They won't lock or will inconsistently.

The Solution is on Southeasternxj.com - "Fixing Slow or Broken Power Door Locks.

Thx, Phil Very Happy
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Mine Doesn't have elec locks. Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have elec locks. It has the manuel. I was wondering if I COULD put elec locks on it. I am definately going to lub up everything. The guy that had it before me was a complete idiot. If he loosened something he neve "lock tight" it or tightened things back up. My stepson checked the engine area and found a few things wrong or loosened. I have to replace the lower and upper radiator hose eventually. Definately a belt ASAP.
JeepinNH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: power locks Reply with quote

I agree with the lube of the mechanism. They seem to freeze up when not used often. Yes you can install aftermarket power locks, JCWhitney has some kits listed on there website. You'd get a better look if you went to a junk yard and pulled them off another XJ. I think they will fit yours up to around 91 or maybe it's 96. Confused Get rid of that PT Cruiser so you can buy a Jeep with less work to be done... Wink

Present: 99 Cherokee
Past: 86, 87 Cherokee; 94 Grand Cherokee
dizzymac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get the door panel off and reach in to the linkage you should be able to get it to open. Its easier with two ppl, one inside to move linkage and one outside to work the door handle and pull.
gooyee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: LOCKS Reply with quote

I have been around cars along time,, I work in a bodyshop. You get into the door what ever way you can, with out damage ,, that is the best way. As for puttting power locks on you JEEP ,,,, DON'T It is just another problem that you don't need, IT IS ELECTRICAL ,,,,, Manual locks is your better bet. I have had many of people come to me after they installed power locks , windows and even seats in place of manual and had problems with them. hope this was a help.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: I was just curious Reply with quote

I was just curious if I could install them. I already know about the problems of elec locks.
jeep_cherokee_girl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: I got it opened. Reply with quote

I got in the back seat. Moved it from locked to unlocked and pulled the handle and it opened. I had be trying to open it by reaching from the front seat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: