Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

unuasual tranny/clutch prob..HELP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackgold2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: unuasual tranny/clutch prob..HELP Reply with quote

Hi there, new to the group, I have a 87 xj ba10/5 5spd 4.0 i need help ASAP!!Here is the existing prob:Ran good(engine). Clutch soft with top end play(1 1/2"), trans would progressively get harder to shift in all gears. One day at stop light,while holding in clutch the pedal went to the floor and my xj started to creep forward-had to lay on brakes very hard to keep from moving.light turns green I go to shift and can't shift into any gears period, had to force int second gear to move. Later upon looking master cyliner is full, bad leak from bell housing..
So now here's the current problem. With help from a friend we dropped the tranny and t-case as one unit-not easy.I sealed the rear main with black rtv, installed a brand new flywheel. installed a new clutch kit-new pressue plate, disc, and new slave. We also installed a new master cylinder. Everything in (mated and torqued). new fluid in tranny, t-case, bled the clutch with engine off. pumped clutch with resevoir cap off-held down petal-did this 4-5 times at 10-12 pumps. With engine off shifter went into all gears, whether clutch petal was pushed in or not.>>real problem now..started the xj pushed in clutch now it won't shift into any gears unless you really force it.When in gear you barely let up the pedal1-2" it starts to move. In reverse it want's to move whether or not you let up clutch petal. Bearing is new as well. The disc by the way can not be installed backwards- it won't mate to flywheel and pressure plate if done so. we did align it there are no gaps, there is still atop end play in the pedal 1-2' disengaged.resevoir is full, no leaks anywhere. Only thing I can think of is my friend took off the retaining straps that held the slave cylinder together that are supposed to break off when clutch is first engaged, prior to installation. WTF? what did we miss? BTW the pedal still feels soft to me for a new clutch..Please help this is my daily driver and I'm bicycling 20 mi a day in the meantime..Thanks parris

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jdw96035

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the master cyl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: