Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

swampy!! your assistance please!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmeyst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: swampy!! your assistance please! Reply with quote

i'm wondering if it would be cheaper to replace what ever might be causing an incredibly loud whine in my front end (can't do it myself!!)

or replace the front axle period! (can do it myself!)

and if replaceing the entire thing then i need to know exactly what i need to look for (in terms of not hurting anything else in the process), i have a dana 30 with qudra trac!

i would really like any direct swap as i have limited tools and 0 welding skills!! any aditional insight would be appreciated!!! bowdown
cajzmere

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know I'm sure not swampboy, but I think if you can change over an entire axle assembly, you can sure switch out a hub assembly or replace gears in a differential. If you WANT a different heavier axle, then .....nevermind me! Good Luck!
quadna71

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cajzmere wrote:
I think if you can change over an entire axle assembly, you can sure...replace gears in a differential.

i'd argue to differ on that one. axle swaps are a matter of a few hours tops with a couple of common handwrenches. it takes quite a bit more to successfully pull off a gearset swap.
chris (just my two cents worth)
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea setting the backlash and all that good stuff its actually a pain and something you wouldnt want to mess up
bmeyst

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the input guys but i know there is know way i'm gonna crack open a diff.!
axle swap? cool! as long as its an unbolt rebolt process. thats all i'm looking to do! if it suits me better to take it to a pro and let them crack open the diff., so be it

just want to figure out my best option to get it fixed, money is definatly an issue!!!! crazy jeep
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is find out what your gear ratio is and go to a boneyard and look for an XJ with the same ratio.. Its a better axle , Stronger and its direct bolt in...

As for the whine.. When is it whining? when accelerating? when coasting?

It may just be bad pinion bearing .. Or If its only whining when you coast.. YOu may just need to take off the driveshaft and tighten the pinion nut...

Here is a quick breakdown of diff noise......

Several situations can create ring-and-pinion noise. If the gears have been quiet and begin to howl, they are probably worn or wearing. If the gears howl during deceleration only, it's possible that the pinion-bearing preload has loosened. Howling under acceleration at all speeds indicates that something in the differential -- gears, pinion or carrier bearings -- has worn or no longer keeps the gear alignment correct. If the gears howl while accelerating over a certain speed range, but not all speeds, it's likely that the gears are worn due to lubrication failure or overloading. When a newly installed gear set howls, suspect the design or setup.

A common problem is worn carrier bearings, as indicated by a low-pitch rumble above 20 mph. On vehicles with C-clip axles, the noise may vary while negotiating turns. Worn pinion bearings can cause whirring noises at all speeds, under deceleration and/or acceleration. Pinion bearings tend to whir, rather than rumble, because the pinion is turning several times faster (depending on gear ratio) than the carrier. Badly worn bearings can also cause howl if they do not support the gears correctly.

Worn wheel bearings can be difficult to determine. A very bad wheel bearing typically makes itself heard with great clarity; it's the bearing that is going bad, but not destroyed, that is hard to find. Turning back and forth from hard right to hard left can identify the culprit; however, I've been fooled by right-front wheel bearings that make noise when turning right (which heavily loads the inside-left-front wheel bearing, but also loads the outside-right-front bearing).

One common situation that may not make any noise: The pinion spins, but the tires don't rotate. Broken spider gears can render the differential immobile, and usually make a loud, crunching sound as they make their final departure. A broken ring gear will allow the differential to propel the vehicle for about eight feet at a time, then bang or grind as the section with broken teeth tries to engage the pinion. Depending on ratio, a broken pinion tooth (or teeth) will clunk about every two or three feet.

A broken axle is easily determined. After it breaks, a C-clip design axle can be pulled out of the housing without unbolting anything -- or may even find its own way out. On many bolt-in-design axles, the wheel will give the broken axle shaft away by cambering in at an angle.

A high spot on a gear tooth may sound similar to a broken gear, but will only make noise while accelerating or decelerating, since the spot appears on just one side of the offending tooth. A high spot on the ring gear will make a heavy clicking sound about every eight feet; a high spot on the pinion makes noise every two or three feet and is much more pronounced due to its higher frequency.

Whether large or small, differential noise is telling you something. Listen carefully! If in doubt, pull off the cover or remove the third member for a closer look. Catching a bad part before is ruins others is definitely worth the effort.

Sorry its so long.. But it should help... read it and answer my question about when its whining.....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmeyst

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it starts about 15 to 20 mph and does not stop after that while acclerating, (decelerating and coasting it lowers in volume and a low rumble is detected) its noticably higher pitched when accelerating and is starting to cause a little vibration in the floor.

i suspected the wheel bearings already and replaced both!!

any ideas on how to find the diff with the correct gearing in a salvage yard? those guys are usually full of IT just to sell the damn thing!!

and yeah you could call it a howl!!
peterpan02001

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whining problem too. It sounds like its from the front of the engine, maybe the belt, but it happens when I'm sitting in park in the drive way. So, I don't think it's anything in the driveline after the engine, because when your in park, the transmission doesn't turn the driveshafts, right? Maybe I'm under a huge misimpression and that's my whole problem. Any ideas what it might be?
Thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idler pulley or tensioner pulley on belt assembly...

Spray them with WD40 and see if it quiets them down..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bmeyst

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterpan02001 wrote:
I have a whining problem too. It sounds like its from the front of the engine, ......

my idle/tensioner pulley did the same after the bearings fell out and the belt was half way shredded!!! luckily it fell in, and not out and off!!!!
still got me to the parts store and all!!
lionnusmb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Whining Noise Reply with quote

Hey,
I've got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited that has suddenly developed a whining noise at constant speed. It begins at about 10 mph and reaches a loud climax at about 35-50 mph. From this point on it dies down from traffic noise. The noise is cut when accelerating but returns when at a constant speed or when decelerating. As I decelerate, the noise slowly fades away until the car is stopped. Any help on what it may be would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping it was very simple and rotated the tires, but this was obviously not a fix. I thank you in advance.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High pitched wine or a low howl???

lionnusmb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a high pitched whine. It sounds similar to problems that might occur with an alternator or regulator going bad except that it hapens with vehicle speed and not with engine speed.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like wheel bearings... Jack the Jeep up and wiggle the tire while you look at the unit bearing ..If you see any motion in it.. Thats your problem...

They tend to squeek when they go bad...

lionnusmb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I'll check it out this weekend and let you know what the outcome is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: