Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No-Slip lockers causing jeep to pull to right.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfax39

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: No-Slip lockers causing jeep to pull to right. Reply with quote

Iíve had no-slip lockers on my 03 wrangler for about a year now, both front and back. For the most part the lockers are the best. Makes a huge difference off road. However, for the past two weeks occasionally when I step on the gas the jeep tends to pull to the right. Here is what I knowÖ
Checked the air pressure and found the back left low so I fixed that and it seemed to help. But the problem has not gone away.
It seems to happen at both slow and fast speeds so I donít think it is the alignment and it doesnít wobble down the road unless there is mud on the tires.
Checked underneath and everything seems solid as a rock. Itís an 03 with 40K and well maintained so I doubt itís anything worn out.
The problem seemed to happen all at once.
I read once a guy had problems and cracked the differential open and found the small springs were chewed up and he replaced them and was good to go. Can this be the problem? I donít hear any noise coming from it.
When I driving down the road (mostly happens on the highway) and I step on the gas and feel the pull to the right, all I have to do is let my foot off the gas and reapply and it pulls straight again.
Anybody out there ever have this problem or have any suggestions?
TJ Apex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Brother has a Scout with a Detroit locker in the rear only. He also had the same the same problem you described except his would pull to the left. One of the retaining pins had sheared causing the locker to bind on the left axel, he drove it that way for a few months before it completely locked up ( like a spool )
He wound up rebuilding his Dana 60.

02' Apex Edition,
2" BB, 31" BFG AT's
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check the brakes up front too.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
sfax39

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.O.W. Vehicle wrote:
I would check the brakes up front too.

As a matter of fact i did hear sort of a groan just the other day in the front left brake. How would this affect what's happening to me? How would it explain the pull stopping when i take my foot off the gas and then reapply?
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same performance from my Wrangler right "after" getting my brakes turned. I thought at first the mechanic screwed up something.

Seems that the caliper pistons we have are know for colasping and getting caught in the extended position. This causes the pad to drag on the disc and makes the steering feel like it is out of ajustment especially on accelaration.
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
sfax39

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did your pulling come and go like that? I can't figure out how taking your foot off the gas can cause a stuck caliper in the front to let go. Then to grab again when accelerating both on the highway and in town without having touched the brakes.
That would however explain why i can't hear anything more than the usual clanging underneith. (the lockers in the front are 99% transparent) I've gone around corners when it was pulling and heard the rear locker break lose which kills my theory that only one wheel was getting power.
I'll pull the tires off in the morning and take a look. Today I've already spent three or four hours helping my brother install a Warn swing away bumper on his o4 Wrangler and I'm pooped.
sfax39

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE.....
I called Powertrax and described my problem. They said that an "active spacer" was broken and gave me a part number and retailer to call. The guy sounded confident that was my problem. I hope he's right. I should be up and rolling in a week.
Total cost is less than $50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: